Author Topic: Tennis Newbies  (Read 5691 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Tennis Newbies
« on: May 09, 2009, 09:54:05 »
We got tennis rackets this week so that we could get out and get some exercise. Wednesday and Thursday we went out to the park after work to play tennis and racquetball with another family. We had a good time out there but I can tell you for sure that skater shoes are not a good choice for playing tennis in. After a short time my feet were burning from the ground pounding.

We're not even counting points yet, just trying to hit the ball and keep it in play for more than a couple seconds. Rules for serving and keeping score are not familiar enough to any of us to really state with any knowledge anyway.

After playing tennis two days in a row, my wife was worn out so we decided to take a break on her birthday. I was still feeling fine at that point. However, my legs were aching throughout the night and when I woke up I could feel all the pain in my legs and my right arm that my wife had been talking about. I wonder if we'll have much time to play next week and if our bodies will feel any better or continue to feel more sore before we get more in shape.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: Tennis Newbies
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 11:35:19 »
I'd be interested in joining you, I know the rules and can play, sort of. I'll have to look around for a tennis racquet though. Plus, I can really use the exercise.
What days and times do you play?
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:48 »
We don't have any routine yet, but time wise we played approximately around 6PM - 8PM. We've already got plans for this week, so maybe next week we'll get back into it.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:44:00 »
How can you not know the rules for tennis... it's easy:

One person plays a card tha puts the "ball" in one of three of the opposing players areas.  The other player then has to play a card that returns the "ball" from that same area.  If they can't the miss and you score.  The person who gets sick of playing first wins.

Simple. 8)
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:12:54 »
Is today a good day?
How about tomorrow?
Anyway, I hope your talking about the park close to your house. I haven't been there yet, but I hear they have basketball courts. Usually if a park has those, then tennis is usually available as well.
If there's no rain after work, I'll take a ride down there and see what's what.

Mac

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 23:53:41 »
The park that we went to is off 52. The one closest to me doesn't have tennis courts.

We're still recovering for our trip, so it probably won't happen until next week.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 15:21:10 »
Hudson Rec Center, on Hayes Rd?
I think I know where your talking about, has a tank inside a fence by the road?

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 22:22:33 »
Yep, that's it - the one with the tank.