Author Topic: Expanding a home network with an extra router  (Read 3342 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Expanding a home network with an extra router
« on: April 24, 2009, 13:44:39 »
I recently got a new computer. It was about time, since I'd been using an ancient one for so long. Now my home network is growing, beyond that of a single router. Last year we had purchased a wireless router but I still have the first router that I had been using for years. Since we have our phone connected through our internet service I needed to keep that connected to the router, but I also wanted to have my old computer accessible through the network so I could work with files and applications that I have on there. Since I'm currently taking a Local Area Networking class at SPC I got thinking that I should be able to connect the two routers together and keep everything on the same LAN without having to buy a hub.

I had found some tips online about connecting the two together, which wasn't really hard, but just today I came across a really nice explanation right on the Linksys Knowledge Base. So... if you have a couple routers at home and you want to experiment with expanding your home network, check out their tutorial for Cascading (Connecting) a Router to Another Router.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)