Author Topic: Which Board Game Would You Take For a Zombie Apocalypse  (Read 5446 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Which Board Game Would You Take For a Zombie Apocalypse
« on: November 23, 2011, 17:02:53 »
Watching The Walking Dead has got me thinking a lot about what I would do in the event the Earth was overrun with zombies.  I know most of the time would be a struggle for my very survival and/or the survival of my group.  But realistically, there would have to be a substantial amount of downtime.  Given the nature of this group, I put this question to you:

In the event of a zombie apocalypse, which one board/dice/card game would you want to make sure you had with you to help pass those long days holed up in camp with no television, internet or radio?

Some things to keep in mind:

- Replayability:  This game is going to have to last you the rest of your short, miserable existance.

- Portability:  You may have to move your base of operations on short notice.  You probably won't want to choose a big game with 10 expansion boxes.

- Theme:  You might not want a game that involves zombies, or shooting, or shooting zombies considering you probably have to do a bunch of that now in real life.  Or you might not want a game about farming because it is a grim reminder of the fact that you are now having to scrounge for cans of things your family used to give away during food drives because really, no one wants to eat that stuff.

- Scalability:  It would probably be better if the game played just as well with 5 or 6 players as it does with 2 or 3.  It IS the zombie apocalypse after all.  There will eventually be fewer people to play your game with.  If the game has a solo play option... even better.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Which Board Game Would You Take For a Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:04:03 »
I've been wanting to watch the Walking Dead series for a while now. I saw it listed on Netflix, but haven't had an opportunity to watch it without the kids, wife, or something else that needed to be done.

Regarding the board game of choice, Chess was the first thing that came to my mind. After a little more consideration with your suggestions, I'm reminded of a board game that I played with as a kid. It was a tin that was similar to having two pie pans put together, so the container was the board for the game you were playing, with a Chinese Checker board on one side and a Chess/Checker board on the other. I'm pretty sure it had marbles, checkers, chess pieces, and may have also had dice inside, although I'm not sure if they were originally part of that set. It was pretty compact though, light weight, not too hard to grab everything together and go... plus considering that chess and checkers are common games, it's much more likely to be able to find some pieces while scavenging to replace anything that was lost or ruined along the way. Seems like a standard deck of cards could be grabbed and thrown into the set too, to make a decent set with lots of options. I know... that's probably cheating as far as the "one game" rule goes, but I'm pretty sure sets like that are still available in some form or another... and if they are like the one I had as a kid, you're not going to get much more compact than that since it would only about the size of a laptop computer and not even weigh as much...
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 16:50:39 »
First thought is for cards, not a board game.
Upon further review, I think I'd skip carrying any game.  ???

Based upon my assumption that zombies wouldn't mess with a stale smelling box in someones closet. I have total confidence that, if I moved from home to home, I would be 100% successful in finding the games owned by the previous homeowners. And that said games would be complete with maybe a piece or two missing. A different closet of games every house you look in.

No games, I'd have other things to worry about in a mad dash for safety.

Mac
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 17:01:02 by tampamac2002 »
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

olds45512

• Silver Level
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 17:07:47 »
First thought is for cards, not a board game.
Upon further review, I think I'd skip carrying any game.  ???

Based upon my assumption that zombies wouldn't mess with a stale smelling box in someones closet. I have total confidence that, if I moved from home to home, I would be 100% successful in finding the games owned by the previous homeowners. And that said games would be complete with maybe a piece or two missing. A different closet of games every house you look in.

No games, I'd have other things to worry about in a mad dash for safety.

Mac

If zombies can hear then im betting yatzee wouldnt be a good choice or anything to competitive because people have a tendency to yell like idiots when they win lol. Im not much for board games but if I had to pick it would be monopoly for 2 reasons #1 its always a good time and #2 because listening to someone complain about having to be the shoe might take my mind off the zombies for a bit.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 18:58:08 »
After watching four episodes of 'Hoarders', I have to retract my statement about being 100% sure of finding peoples games.

That's the only change, if I found a hoarders home, I'd move on quickly.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!