Author Topic: Out of Gas  (Read 4326 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Out of Gas
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:25:18 »
Well, it's been over a year... no job.  I wanted to come back to Atlanta so badly, I really didn't stop to consider the horrible job market.  I have resumes posted on every major job site, and I have been through the ringer with a few recruiters, and I've been scouring the Department of Labor's website as well as that of individual companies.  I thought for sure I could find SOMETHING.  My savings ran out over seven months ago, and that's about how many months of back rent I currently owe.  My landlord has been incredibly patient with me, but that is understandibly running out. 

I lost my internet access a few weeks a go, and since then I had found a neighbor's unsecured network that I had been able to use  I had even rigged up a dish using some aluminum and armature wire to boost the signal.  Then yesterday, my power was disconnected.  The timing was pretty bad considering I had just spent my last four dollars in change that morning to buy some eggs and such. 

Fortunately, my gas is currently still on.  I was able to hard boil the eggs, so at least they will last a little longer.  I stuck it all in the freezer too, so at least the ice cubes would allow me to save some of it for today... tonight I feast. ::)

Given how many new notches I've had to cut into my belt, I've lost at least 12" around the ol' gut.

Jason has been very concerned about me... to the point where he can't take it anymore and has pretty much stopped inviting me over.  I don't blame him, he has his own life to live.  I do miss people though, but I can't afford to use my phone except for trying to find a job.  Dragon was kind enough to give me some money for that, but it's back down to just under $2.00 now.

The upside in all of this...

Well, I did get a library card, which involved me having to find out where the library was.  Now I can get internet access twice a day for an hour at a time.  I use that to continue the job hunt and send out e-mails... and to charge my iPod so I'll have something to listen to tonight while I eat cheese hotdogs and eggs by candle light.

That's pretty much it.  I don't really know where to go from here.  I'm working on a few options, but as I'm almost out of computer time for today, I'll have to let you know that later.

"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Out of Gas
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 20:43:42 »
That sounds rough. I wish you the best and hope something comes through soon.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:04 »
Sorry to hear of your ill fortune.
Have you a place to come back to in this area?

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 16:54:54 »
Not really... I had sort of worn out my welcome in Lutz by the time I left.  Unless Charles is interested in a roommate, I really wouldn't know where to go if I went back to the area.

On a personal front, all the reading I've been doing in the last few days has given me some board game ideas... one is from a sci-fi short story that comes pretty fully formed and I can't believe it hasn't already been made into a game, but there's no sign of anything like it on BGG. It could be my break-out game.  Evenings are pretty uneventful around the apartment so I've been getting a lot worked out.

While waiting for this computer today, I found a book on Gutzon Borglum, the guy who sculpted Mt. Rushmore.  He was also originally slated to do Stone Mountain, but from the looks of it, he ran into problems with the klan and ended up not doing it. 

Starting this week, I'll be packing things up... hoping for any calls from the resumes I've been sending out.  Otherwise, I may have to vacate over the weekend.  Anyway,  I'll be checking my e-mail every day here during the week.  Hopefully, I can get some time to check in here to keep you informed.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"