Author Topic: Happy Birthday TylerChuit  (Read 4074 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Happy Birthday TylerChuit
« on: July 03, 2011, 22:15:35 »
Today is the birthday of my friend Chris, aka TylerChuit. Chris has been a good friend for several years now. Unfortunately, he has moved away to Atlanta, so we don't get to see him any where near as much as we used to. I hope you had a great day today Chris!
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Happy Birthday TylerChuit
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:38:12 »
Thanks, yes.   I did get your message, and text. 

My actual birthday was pretty quiet, however we had a Birthday party for Jason the day before.  His birthday is the 26th of June, but he was out of town at a show, so they postponed it.  That actually works great for me.  I've never really liked being the center of attention, so the chance to be at a birthday party near my birthday surrounded by people, but not having them actually making a fuss about me was pretty awesome. 

Although, when we were singing the birthday song and got to, "happy birthday dear Jason," Maia threw in a "... and Chris."  That felt pretty good too.  :)

We did get to play some board games.  There were 14 of us, so we had to slpit into 3 groups even though I had suggested Mega-Bang!  Jason, Teeter and I each led a group since we were he most experienced gamers.  Jason's group played Carcassonne with a couple of expansion, though he likes to play without farmers.  Teeter's group played Forbidden Island, which is very similar to Pandemic, but instead of curing diseases, you're trying to locate treasures before the island sinks. 

My group played Dominion with 5 players.  I tried coaching as much as I could, trying to advise people about the best time to buy victory points.  One girl was just not getting the hang of chaining actions together, and would often accidently reshuffle her cards before she ran out.  In the end, I won by a pretty big margin and felt bad about it given that half of the other players were new to the game.  Had I been able to play more frequently in recent months, I probably would have sat out and just coached like I prefer to do in those situations, but I had been jonesing to play board games lately and couldn't pass it up.

After we all finished our games some people left, and the rest of us went outside to shoot off some fireworks.  After the third one, Jason's next door neighbor came out and told us that the family on the corner has two dogs that get really freaked out by fireworks.  He said if we wanted to be good neighbors and not get them upset, that we should probably stop.  Otherwise, and I quote, "those dogs will run around their house *censored*ting all over the place."

At this point it was getting kind of late in the evening, and a few more people left.  There was seven of us and we ended up watching Paranormal Activity.  With less people in the house the AC was making the place colder, so I had grabbed a couch pillow to huddle under.  During the movie, Pad Thai, one of Teeter's cats climbed onto to the pillow and hunkered down to nap. 

Maia gets scared easily watching those kind of movies, and near the end I offered her the cat for comfort.  Pad Thai stayed on the pillow as I passed it over.  I thought it was a kind gesture.  Too bad I blew all that good will after the movie... When the rest of the group had gone out on the porch to smoke, I snuck around the house to the frosted window on one side of the porch near where I knew Maia was sitting.  Well, you can guess what I did, and she punched me really hard in the arm for it later... twice.

We got about half-way through Despicable Me (Maia's choice) when people started getting too tired to keep going, and we called it a night.  Jason and Teeter loaded me up with cake and leftovers to take home and that was that.  It was a good birthday, even if wasn't really mine. ;D
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Beth

• Bronze Level
Re: Happy Birthday TylerChuit
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:24:00 »
I am glad your birthday worked out the way you wanted it to.  I hope you get to play some more board games coming up.  Janai and Isaac would love to play Dominion with you.  Janai beat Nathaniel and Isaac twice.  It seems like somehow Isaac understands the game in some ways better but Janai's strategy wins out.  I think you would all have a lot of fun.  Anyways we miss you and think of you often and are really happy you had a good one.  :)
My shoes aren't on the wrong feet.  These are my feet.