Author Topic: Vacation Update  (Read 6324 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Vacation Update
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:45:15 »
Vacations never seem short enough. There's usually so many things that we want to do that we can't get them all done. When you're married you have to at least double your estimate of desired things to do.

My wife and I are considering getting back into foster care. We've been wanting to get our patio/bedroom conversion done for years now, but it's been a long difficult process. With all the home improvement projects that my wife has pulled me into over the past few years, she's been building confidence that we can do most of what is needed to complete that room. We finally finished tiling the floor in the kitchen. She actually liked the grouting part better than cementing the tiles down. That was the part I hated the most.

Out of three vehicles, we were down to one over the last couple days. The truck has a flat tire, the leak is so bad that I filled it up last night and it was flat by this morning. My car wouldn't start either. I got the battery tested and it was fine so I had to have it towed to my mechanic and got the starter replaced. The car is more important for me to keep on the road than the truck because we don't use the truck much anymore except when we are spending money on home improvements. Hopefully it will be a while before we need it again. As time goes on, I'm wondering if I ever really want to get rid of a vehicle.

Over at TheRefineryRock.com, the major changes are in place now. The new Playlist & Request pages are live, allowing visitors to find the music that they want to hear easier. Tom will be adding more details to the songs so that lyrics and other information can be read each song. So now it's time to move over to FuelRadio.fm. I helped Tom redirect his domain and last night I installed a forum there. Since Tom had styled FuelRadio.fm so similarly to TheRefineryRock.com, I've just taken the theme that I created for the Refinery Forum and installed it on the Fuel Forum. I'm going to try to get those color tweaks done today and then hopefully Tom will have the database for Fuel ready for me to work on.

The spring semester starts next week, so I'm gearing up for that. I feel tense about it already because it's another full semester, but it's more than that. Half way through the semester I'm picking up a 5th class. It's an express class, so it only physically counts as being in class half the semester but my understanding is that the workload is just compressed into fewer weeks. I need to keep all 5 classes in order to be considered a full time student for the entire semester (which is important for getting money for the GI Bill). I'll I can say is that I really hope I like all my classes this semester.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: Vacation Update
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 19:08:18 »
Vacations never seem short enough?

ARE YOU HIGH?  ???

Vacations never seem LONG enough.  There is always so much to do and not enough time...at least...that's been MY experience.

Home Improvements projects would be more fun for me, if I felt like I knew what I was doing.  Thus I don't do them, and the viscous cycle of not knowing/not doing continues.

Foster Parents?  Let me ask again...

ARE YOU HIGH?  ???

You already have two lovely kids.  Why would you want more?  I agree the argument sounds silly coming from a guy with 3 kids, but the age difference between my eldest and my youngest is 10 years.  You have two young ones that already vy for your attention...do you really not have enough on your plate already?

Good luck with the next semester, pal.  I hope you're on the road to a higher income with all that studying!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 22:36:00 »
Vacations never seem short enough?

ARE YOU HIGH?  ???
LOL... Wow! There's a typo that spell check would never catch! You're correct - vacations never seem LONG enough!  :-X 

As far as the kids go, we know that there is a huge need for foster parents. It's not something that I want to get into before I finish my degree, but it's something that we've been discussing.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

cinemax

• Gold Level
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:26:29 »
I totally concur with everything Wylders said, Dragon. Please, please wait until you have your degree before getting into the foster thing. You already have enough going on.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:19:29 »
Thanks for the concern guys. I definitely feel busy all the time and more stuff is coming. Getting into foster care before I get my degree is out of the question for me.

I got a phone call this morning about a job that I've applied for. It's a full time web development position for a state-run water management department. Right now, I'm registered for more than full time classes during the spring semester. This was necessary because the GI Bill is helping me get through school right now, and it would be difficult for us to keep up with bills without this money. (One required class is an express class so even though it counts as a full semester's credits, it is not full time physically, so I have to be registered for 5 classes to get full time status for the GI Bill.) However, if I get this full time position, I will probably need to shift gears with school. I still want to keep working toward my degree, but my wife and I have been hoping and praying that I get this position because it is a state job and the description of the position sounds like exactly what I'd hoped for in a job, plus it's with the state, so benefits should be good.

I have turned down other offers and not applied for anything else, but this seems to be a rare opportunity, so please pray for me with this upcoming telephone interview. It could bring lots of change in our lives, but hopefully all for the better.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 17:48:15 »
Good Luck with the job.  I hope you get it!

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:17 »
Good luck with the interview, hope you get it.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!