Author Topic: Projects delayed (Pt. 3)  (Read 3706 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Projects delayed (Pt. 3)
« on: December 29, 2008, 02:40:37 »
My holiday rant continues in this third part of my "Projects delayed" series.  If I still had my journal offline, I'd probably put this there, but now if I split away from my online blog I'll probably lose track of it. With that in mind, this particular post is here more for me than anyone else. Don't waste your time reading the beginning, just skip to the last paragraph.

Holidays sure do get in the way of getting projects complete. I guess that's something that I should be thankful of, since it more or less forces me to get away from the computer. If other days that I had planned on working on projects were actually able to be used for those, I probably wouldn't mind holidays so much, but as they are now, they just mean there is another day that I can't do the things that I want and need to do.

This past week, my wife and I have been working on tiling the kitchen floor. It's still not done yet. This is not a project that I'm really interested in. I get quite frustrated with home improvement projects. If my wife weren't here those projects would likely never get started. She claims that they are necessary projects, implying that the things that I do, regardless of commitments that I've made to myself and other people, are not all that important. (Honestly, when it comes to handyman jobs, our roles are reversed. My wife doesn't seem all that interested in doing them, but she is much more willing to jump into the task than I am. If she is willing to do the whole thing, it's great for me because I can go on doing something more productive... of course, that's more productive in my opinion, not my wife's.)

Christmas day was pretty nice. We had some presents for the kids, which they enjoyed for a few hours before going back to their usual selves. Spending the rest of the night at my parent's house was another nice break. Friday was stressful because I had planned on working on things and Beth had planned on getting tiling done. Neither of us got done what we had wanted to.

Saturday and Sunday we went to visit family and friends and ended up staying away more than we had planned there also. Sunday morning we were planning on finishing the tiling project. This didn't get done and more frustration, stress, aggravation and arguments filled most of the potentially enjoyable time that I could have had with my wife. I enjoyed the time I had with extended family and friends, but time with my wife and kids was, sorry to say, disappointing.

Enjoyable moments this weekend included playing Frontline with Ken on Xbox 360, and playing games with Chris and Charles. Chris recently bought Agricola, a farming-themed board game, and played it with us. I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I accidentally misread a card and wasn't corrected on it until I had already misused it a couple times, so that may have changed the outcome of the game, but I won with a pretty big lead. Next we played Guillotine, which is another game that I enjoy. The first game was cut really short by the Scarlett Pumpernickel (I know that's not the actual name of the card but I can't remember the real name) and I'm pretty sure Chris snagged the first win. Charles racked up some big points in the second game before we went out for some food and a short game of Condottierre. Chris won that game, amazingly before I even got a single territory claimed. We shot some pool at Charles's place afterward for a little while before my wife picked me up and the weekend continued where it left off. Apparently while I was out playing board games with the guys it had been paused in some kind of torturous Twilight Zone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 14:33:54 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)