Author Topic: Monster Jam and celebrating our 16th anniversary  (Read 3649 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Monster Jam and celebrating our 16th anniversary
« on: February 06, 2011, 13:44:38 »
Last night we went out to see Monster Jam in Tampa. For those who might get this confused with some kind of heavy metal concert - it's got lots of heavy metal, but it comes rolling on gigantic wheels and slinging mud.  :D  Actually, it's probably the biggest sporting event that I'm actually interested in seeing and has been touted as the "Superbowl of motor sports." It features monster truck races followed by a freestyle, truck jumping, car smashing competition. My favorite driver and truck for many years has been Dennis Anderson and his Grave Digger. My son has also been a fan of monster trucks for years, but this was the first time that we were able to take them to see the show. We had a great time at the show, but getting there and returning home was not so grand.

The show was scheduled to start at 7pm, so I figured that leaving our house at 5pm would give us plenty of time to get there and find our seats before the show started. However, there was a huge promotion this year with free "Pit Passes" given out, which I didn't realize was happening before the show started. So... probably thousands of people were coming in ahead of time. Traffic was backed up quite a bit and even though we were less than a mile from the stadium when traffic started to crawl, it took us an hour to get from that point to our parking space. My wife was having cramps (potentially labor pains) while walking to and from the stadium and we thought at one point that we'd have to go to the hospital, but definitely did not want to be having a baby 9 weeks ahead of schedule. I was also noticing some pain in my stomach, near the area where I recently had surgery.

Today is our 16th wedding anniversary, and today we'll be heading back to Tampa for our kids to take a class in preparation of the new baby. We plan to head to one of our favorite restaurants and hopefully we'll be able to have an enjoyable day without the aches and pains that my wife and I have had to deal with lately.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: Monster Jam and celebrating our 16th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 21:04:22 »
Hoping the rest of your day was better.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Monster Jam and celebrating our 16th anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 23:27:04 »
Yeah, we did have a pretty good day after all. Thanks.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)