Author Topic: White Chocolate  (Read 4895 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
White Chocolate
« on: November 10, 2011, 04:58:34 »
What are your feelings on whether white chocolate should be considered chocolate?  Should it be allowed to be sold in stores next to regular chocolate?  Should white chocolate companies have the same rights to advertise as the milk chocolate companies?

Some say that chocolate is a union between cocoa beans and milk solids, and that any other combination is a perversion, and a degredation of the very foundation of what it means to be chocolate.  They say that white chocolate is waxy and gross and that we shouldn't have to look at people parading around and eating it in the streets.  

But you know what?  It wasn't too long ago that people were saying the exact same thing about milk chocolate getting together with peanut butter.  They would call it "Reeses Fever", and the ignorant of our society would smash peanut butter cups to the ground and drive them into the dirt with their boot heels.  Not a pretty picture.  Now, however, you can find chocolate and peanut butter hooking up all over the place, and it's generally accepted.  White chocolate deserves the same rights.  

Some people would say, "Why not call it 'Cocoa Butter Bar' or something and let the "chocolate" people keep their precious WORD? It's just a WORD!!"  Well, my dear, simple-minded reader, words have power.  From an early age, children are taught that there is nothing more pure and wonderful as waking up Easter morning, and running around their home in search of plastic eggs filled with tiny chocolate treats.  Or waking up Christmas morning, and running out to find their stocking stuffed with that milky, smooth goodness.  Or even waking up Halloween morning and running over to their neighbor's house loaded with bars and bars of peanut and nouget filled heaven.  [I was an impatient child.]  

My point is, had I rang that doorbell and only gotten a handful of "Cocoa Butter Bars", I would have thrown them right back in the face of my creepy neighbor who always dressed in bloody doctor scrubs and a gorilla mask with skeleton gloves and a cape.  I mean, what the hell was he even supposed to be?!?!  

Nothing is as beloved as chocolate, and technically, white chocolate goes through all the same stuff as milk chocolate, but it just doesn't have the cocoa solids re-added during the chocolate making process.  In other words, it can't help how it was made, and it deserves the same rights to be sold and eaten and left for children by imaginary constructs as its milk and dark counterparts.

But don't get me started on Red Liquorice.  It is NOT liquorice!  NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!  If you let red liquorice be called liquorice, what's next, Dog Liquorice?  Heathens!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:04:56 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: White Chocolate
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:06:15 »
Chris,

I appreciate your argument...but I disagree.  And by the way...it's licorice.  There is no liquor in it!

But to your point about chocolate...I don't understand what all the fuss is about...really...white chocolate is NOT normal chocolate.  When people think of chocolate, many have a set and determined belief of what that means.  The ingredients in white chocolate differ from normal chocolate.  To call them the same is simply an error.  To give the same rights to white chocolate versus milk chocolate...I can agree that they should have the same rights...I'll give you that, Chris, as your argument is persuasive, however, they are fighting about a WORD!

Chocolate.

Chocolate, as you say, is a union between cocoa beans and milk solids!  White chocolate has an unnatural pairing of ingredients and is NOT chocolate to some.  I do find it gross, personally, but I  don't really care what they call it, which is why I wonder what the hoopla is about.  But calling white chocolate, "chocolate" OFFENDS many.  So why fight?

I say that white chocolate can have the same rights, the same shelf space, be sold in the same locations and enjoy every one of the 1,100 rights that are enjoyed by milk chocolate...but why do we need to call it chocolate?  Let's call it...CU?  Chocolate's Uncle...?  Not sure what you could call it so as not to offend...but certainly just calling it "Chocolate" causes a stir... (hehe)

Now...don't even get me started on Dark Chocolate!!!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: White Chocolate
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 13:34:25 »
Unfortunately, compromise in this situation is impossible, considering the grand scope and scale to which people have a distaste for white chocolate, no matter what it's called.  In the end, you can't ever change enough minds, you have to simply try to steer the next generation.  Will you steer them towards bigotry and hatred of other types of cocoa based ingredients, or will you teach them to be accepting, and that knowing that the way a cocoa bean is processed may taste weird to you but you don't have to eat it.

The argument for calling it white chocolate is the argument for all cocoa based ingredients to be forced to be treated equally under the eyes of the law.  Calling it a different word allows room for all the white chocolate haters who make the legal decisions about distribution and sales to not allow this completely different thing to have the same rights.  voting to make white chocolate equal to milk chocolate is the way of closing that legal loophole.  It is a matter of fighting for two rights (the name and the ability to be it) as opposed to fighting for the 1,100 individually.

As to the liquorice / licorice debate, I looked it up and am willing to retract my statement on the basis of it being two different and confusing spellings.  But to be fair, actual liquorice has no liquor in it either.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 14:00:40 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"