Author Topic: getting lipo battery and charger HELP!  (Read 5318 times)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
getting lipo battery and charger HELP!
« on: January 10, 2011, 00:37:25 »
SO I KINDA want to understand more hobby grade stuff, and rcboyz on ebay made me an invoice for a ac/dc lipo charger that was 65$ and then a 5000 mah 7.4v battery for 100!! is this as cheap as it gets????? help from someone who knows hobby grade?
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
Re: getting lipo battery and charger HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:45:35 »
No thats the highest but heres why.

It depends on the rating of the battery itself, if its a 60c then thats a fair deal if its a 20 or 40c then no way. The C rating is a measure of power output, more C more punch.

The charger must be a high end for that. You can get a good one for even just $40 that will do the job.

Remember also to get a balancer for the battery, its the little chip that plugs into the extra wire you see on all lipo batteries. This makes sure than the cells stay even when you charge them. If you dont balance them not only will you start getting less than normal power but you can kill the battery permanently.

Here look at this, should help a ton for pricing
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=7.4v+lipo+5000mah&_sacat=0&_odkw=7.4v+lipo&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

More R/C cars than your local hobby shop

Old school is the only way to go

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:11:44 »
wow can't just plug it in and go haha of course now i need a balancer too. what are good  brands for these batteries i can trust?

would i be able to use this in a sf traxx just curious? but i guess i cant cause they don't have tamiya connectors

found out it is a 35C battery
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:41:02 by czstycor/c »
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 19:33:29 »
If your not familiar with lipos, the way they work is you get full power the entire time then at the end they die off. In order to properly run a lipo you need the speed control setup for lipo. All speed controls set up for lipo have an automatic cut off that way you dont run the battery all the way down. Reason being, if you run the battery all the way down it is permanently dead.  But the good thing about lipos is that they dont just slowly loose charge after sitting for days like nimh nicd batteries and you make a ton more power and ton more run time.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 23:15:19 »
yeah, these little buggies say they can run on a 7.4v lipo, but the lipo could only be maybe 2inces long if that to fit in the holder

do i need a different balancer for every different type of lipo battery?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 23:58:31 by czstycor/c »

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 17:57:12 »
No, one balancer will work for them all. You can find lipos in all different shapes to fit almost anything

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 18:44:32 »
hmm, ok well the batteries that came with these buggies are tiny 7.2v nimh batteries that last for about 3 minutes, so i want lipos. so you thing i should get the charger they recommended?

this is what they recommended---Sk-iMax B6AC+ Charger

is this a balancer/ what i need?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Planes-ElectriFly-Equinox-LiPo-2-5-Cell-Balancer-/370472747525?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5641e58205

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level