Author Topic: Unable to connect to internet with Windows Vista  (Read 3932 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Unable to connect to internet with Windows Vista
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:07:41 »
A couple days ago my wife mentioned that the internet wasn't working. I tried my computer and it worked just fine, so I checked out her computer, which is running Windows Vista, and after resetting the router her PC worked just fine too... just long enough for me to test it. So I told her it was working again. So she came back and tried going to a website only to find it not working again. This happened multiple times, which was very frustrating with her saying it was broken, me resetting some things and changing browser settings, getting things working again only to have it not work once she tried it.

The strange thing was that the computer still had a connection to our local network. My Windows XP PC was working fine, which is also wired to the same router. Switching ports didn't make a difference. I tried booting up a Live CD of Xubuntu and was able to get an internet connection with that, so I figured it had to be a problem with Vista. I made backups of my wife's documents and all of our family photos and then started trying various "solutions" that I found online. Eventually, after trying a few different search strings, I came to an article that actually worked. So... in case you're having the same trouble I was, check out this site: Fixing the local only internet access issue in Windows Vista. As the author of this article states, 'Make sure to set the DhcpConnForceBroadcastFl ag as described in the "More Information" section' - that's what fixed it for me.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Unable to connect to internet with Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 21:00:52 »
So you're saying turning it off and on didn't work... weird. ???
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: Unable to connect to internet with Windows Vista
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:35:50 »
I'm having an issue getting my laptop to connect to the router in my home. It worked just fine, then one day, can't connect. It works fine with free wifi, but not my secure home wifi.
I tried resetting the security code, to no avail. My PS3, desktop and the work computer work fine, heck even the Nintendo DS's me and my wife each have work fine.
My son came home for the holidays, all his wifi devices worked fine with the existing sec code.

My laptop and desktop are both Win XP.
I'm going to try one more time resetting the security code, then I'm resigned to my laptop being for 'public' use only.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!