Author Topic: Chinese Democracy!  (Read 5603 times)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Chinese Democracy!
« on: December 02, 2008, 18:13:03 »
Ok...

I've spent the past many days listening to Guns N' Roses new album.  All the songs are listenable and I like them all, but there are some that are slower than the ones that really rock...and I really like the ones that ROCK.

Here are all of the songs on the disk in the order I like them.

Better (Classic GNR)
Scraped (Love the A-yos!)
Riad N' The Bedouins (What the hell does this mean?  Who Cares - LOVE IT)
If the World (The music of the song sounds like it came out of a Tarantino movie!)
Shackler's Revenge (Use your Illusion GNR)
Chinese Democracy (Classic Axl)

Those 6 songs are SUPREME.  They are my favorites of the album, they are inspired and will be on the next GNR Greatest Hits.  Absolutely Exquisite.

IRS (The attraction here, for a tax guy, is obvious)
There was a Time (Reminds me a little of Use your Illusion)
Madagascar (The movie quotes in this one make it so much better)
Catcher in the Rye
Sorry
Street of Dreams

These 6 songs are good.  I like them.  But they are somewhat...ordinary...Th e 6 in the previous category are SUPREME, these are just...Good.  Bordering on great...but just not there.

Prostitute
This I love

These two songs are also...good...but they are slow.  I enjoy them as background, but I haven't listened to them enough to say...CHOOSE them if I had the CD case in hand and was using the controls on the radio. 

Anyone else listen to this album!?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:56:37 by Dragon »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Chinese Democracy!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 22:25:03 »
I haven't heard the album yet, but I'm interested to hear it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 22:30:44 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:28:45 »
"If the World" - I've heard it 3 times now. For some reason, I think BeeGees every time. No... I don't like it.

"There Was a Time" may be the second most annoying to me.

"Sorry" is alright. Something about it. (Did you know that another favorite singer of yours is doing background vocals on that track?)

"Better" is probably my favorite - most memorable to me, even if I don't like the beginning.

The second half of the CD seemed a little better to me.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 19:59:04 »
WOW...just goes to show that even though I thought we were close, musically, that we are worlds apart.

Better is the best.
I like Sorry more every time I hear it.  I haven't investigated the background vocals yet...
There was a time....also called TWAT...is one of my faves because it's so different.  I don't hear Bee Gees at ALL!

But...thank you for giving it a shot. 

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 20:25:03 »
Well... with metal, and with any music, there are blurred lines between distinctly different styles. That's probably why there are so many different classifications of music even within just one genre.

Thanks for loaning that CD to me. I did my very best not to compare these songs to older GNR stuff that I like, but I know for certain that when I'm ready to buy a GNR CD that it will be Appetite or Lies.