Author Topic: The Return of Conquest  (Read 29520 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: The Return of Conquest
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 13:09:26 »
One wish list item: a possible way to number the rounds.  This would be great for clarifying treaties, and also a point of interest for seeing a 'Round per week' ratio.  Possible, or would that involve a major reprogramming?
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2010, 19:34:01 »
I agree and think it is something i could add without too much.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 19:45:56 »
OK. I had a little time this evening and I was feeling well enough to sit down and do a little programming, so I made a little modification to the Conquest index page.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 03:10:39 »
Looks good.  Thanks for adding the round number.  Very handy.

One question about ships.  Can a ship, loaded or empty, pass completely through an ocean territory occupied by another players ships?

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 09:16:25 »
If the enemy ship has troops, I don't think ships should be able to move past enemy ships, but I don't remember exactly how the rule was in the original CotE game. Even though those were the rules that intended to use for most of this game, the backup copy of this game had some holes, so things that I had fixed years ago were not necessarily fixed with this copy. I'll have to check the original rules of the game and see where this is being enforced (or not) in my code.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 10:28:43 »
Ok, I had been tempted to try it once or twice, but didn't want to end up stuck in a battle I was trying to avoid.

Edit:  okay... nope.  Last point of movement went away, and I couldn't even see the  empty ship on the map until I moved my other troops in to support it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:41:24 by TylerChuit »

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 00:24:58 »
Is it normal for an army to retreat when it's winning?
When exactly do the prices double for purchases?
I'm confused on these issues.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 17:33:10 »
An attacking army will retreat if it does not defeat the defending army after each unit in the attacking army has attacked once. I realize it is a flawed system, and planned to modify it so that the attacker had more control over that, but this was how the system originally worked back in 2005. The board game actually allowed the attacker to continue attacking or to retreat at any point after any dice roll, which was done one at a time. Although I originally devised this system so that the attacker and defender could play out a battle without being online at the same time, I probably should change it so that the attacking player can make that choice.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 19:01:20 »
Just put in some warning before implementing that change since correctly calculating how many troops we need to defend a territory is such a key strategy.

Also, Mac, the cost doubles for everybody the instant one player's income goes OVER 100.  I'm assuming that is also true if a player buys a city during their purchase phase to make the 100 -> 105 bump, but I would need Dragon's confirmation on that.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 22:52:09 »
It has been brought to my attention that there is a problem with troops showing up on the map page, but when viewing the specific territory they are no longer shown. The problem appears to be due to some reassignment after moving into enemy territory but prior to the attack. If the attacker is forced to retreat, during retreat troops and generals are sent back to their previous location. At that point, the system is looking for which general these troops are assigned to and although they are assigned to a general, that general doesn't exist in their location.

So... basically, the system is allowing you to reassign troops to another general while in enemy troops are present, which should not be allowed. Until the system is corrected to block such situations from happening, please do not reassign any troops to generals that are from different territories when you go in to battle.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 12:20:13 »
Good to know...

I'd like to propose that there'd have been no need to reinforce my ground forces with troops from my boat if the auto-retreat weren't drawing battles out way too long... just saying.

p.s.  Finally won that battle.  What is supposed to happen to all your generals I captured?  It just says they are prisoners in my home territory and I have no options to change that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:45:17 by TylerChuit »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 12:02:03 »
You should have the option to release them from prison. Check the bottom portion of your Game Info page.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 11:23:51 »
Any thoughts on this?  I'm kind of stuck strategically speaking.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 23:40:04 »
I could do a manual release in the database... unfortunately, I'm having some PC issues at the moment. Hopefully I can get it fixed tomorrow. I'm using my wife's PC (and the web browser on my phone) tonight.