Author Topic: New Tampa Area Gamer  (Read 8876 times)

jskinny

• Copper Level
New Tampa Area Gamer
« on: November 23, 2008, 20:49:21 »
Hi Guys,

Just found this board today.  Its great!

I moved to Riverview about 5 months ago.  I???m looking around for a group of adults who like to game.  I???m also always willing to host games at my home.

Picked up Battletech at Hurricon and I???m really excited about trying to get back into the game  ;D.  I???m also interested in D&D 3.5 (Pathfinder), lots of board games (Descent/Runebound), Non-CCG (Munchkin), and maybe Warhammer.

Any adults out there doing some semi-regular Battletech or D&D?

Thanks

Jonas
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places.

Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: New Tampa Area Gamer
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 21:09:37 »
We are more of the European/German Board game aficionados!

Welcome!!!  We'd love to game with you some time!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 22:53:34 »
Hello Jonas, Welcome to Dragons Hobbies!

I used to live near Riverview and I played D&D and BattleTech quite a bit around that same time. Unfortunately, I'm over an hour away from there now and I haven't played either game much since getting into Euro-games. That's not to say that you won't find anyone still playing. I wouldn't mind trying out BattleTech similar to what we're doing with Descent - a forum-based game similar to playing by (e)mail if there is interest. I have the old 3rd edition rule books, so I'm not sure what's changed in recent years.

By the way, I have a good friend who lives in Riverview, so I get over that way once in a while.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 03:59:50 »
Hello, and welcome jskinny!
We sometimes travel to Tarpon Springs to a game shop called Pendragon. It's off US 19, on Tarpon Springs road. Not quite half way, but a little closer. Watch for our thread regarding Pendragon. They are pretty active with Warhammer, I believe they played it every time we went there, about 4 times in total. They stock quite a bit of Warhammer, and lots and lots of other stuff.

I hope we can game together some day, however, I don't get out your way at all.

I'm not sure, this is going out on a limb, but maybe there is a game shop in Tampa we could try and meet at some day. Just a thought that came to me, not sure if its feasible.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 09:28:29 »
There is Armada Games in Tampa. Chris and I have met there before. It's a nice place - they have plenty of tables and even a room for a dedicated D&D group.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

jskinny

• Copper Level
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 20:57:48 »
Thanks Guys,

I???ve been over to Armada, they seem to play a lot of 40K there but not much else that I saw.  When I first got to Tampa, I would go over to Coliseum Comics but they???re no more.

If I can get away for a few hours this weekend I might try to head down to Pendragon.  I also need to take a Saturday afternoon and head over to Emerald City.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:12:29 »
I've seen BattleTech stuff at Pendragon and heard someone asking if anyone was interested in playing, but I haven't actually seen anyone play it there. They seem to be very much into the Axis & Allies and Star Wars collectible games.

jskinny

• Copper Level
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 09:28:35 »
I???ve actually seen a mod for Two-Hour-Wargames 5150 game that is for Star Wars.  I???ve always thought it was a good idea.  I played the SW collectable and Mechwarrior with my son a couple of times, but haven???t been able to get into the more advanced rules.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 09:38:05 »
I've never played the MechWarrior: Dark Age stuff. After my experience with Mage Knight, I was VERY disinterested in games that had blind purchase marketing tactics.

jskinny

• Copper Level
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 13:50:04 »
I agree, but when a 10 year old is your opponent, they're only interested in the ???cool robots???  ;) part of the game. 

As far as battletech goes, 3025 is still my favorite time period.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 22:40:07 »
I started off with the Mechs from 3025, but eventually I got into the 3050 Clan Tech. Building custom Mechs with that technology was where I had most of my fun. I was fortunate to have a few friends who would play the game with me on occasion. (If you're interested, you can read about our own home-made campaign in the section of the site called BattleTechnical. It is several years old at this point.)

jskinny

• Copper Level
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:03:35 »
Dragon,

That???s actually how I found this site.  I stumbled across the BattleTachnical site and followed the links here.