Author Topic: Your tyco story  (Read 60039 times)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
Your tyco story
« on: September 26, 2010, 18:10:52 »
I thought since I have a story behind why i love collecting these cars so i figured most others do to on this thread please put your story here and a picture of your first if you still have it or just another picture of it.  :) i'll post mine soon.  please share!!
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
Re: Your tyco story
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:21:14 »
In 1999 December 24th christmas eve my family opened all our big presents, because on the 25th we were with the rest of the family. That year i was 7 and happy with any gift given to me (except clothes eewwww). i had recieved a train set and thought it would get any better than that to my surprise the very last gift handed to me was rather large. Quickly i tore into the gift and once unwrapped i screamed with joyous praise thanking my parents right away I wanted to play with it. without any hesitation i opened the box and found out it needed to charge for NINE hours! I was so upset, while my father teased me I just stared at this gorgeous work of art infront of me. Then my dad reached into his back pocket and pulled out the already charged &.2v battery. I rapidly rushed to put it in the car. then I ran outside to the street that was clear of any snow and I unleashed the beast within tearing up the pavement for 15 minutes and melting snow with the burning of my rubber. It was at this moment that I fell in love with tyco R/C cars. The Beast inside me was revealed by none other than the Super Fast Traxx. Later I had found out that my mother had purchased it 4 years before giving it to me at a clearance tent sale event at our local Boscovs. I still thank her to this day for giving me the best gift EVER!!

And here she is!!!! ;D
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 23:05:44 »
Very cool story. I'm surprised that she held it for 4 years. My wife barely seems to be able to save gifts for me and my kids. Gifts are usually handed over early or purchased late in our family. Do you still have that Super Fast Traxx in your collection?

My first fully functional Tyco R/C car was a sweet looking Tyco Bandit, black with neon colored stickers. My brother got a red Heads Up Hopper at the same time. We would race those two R/C vehicles around on the dirt track we had in the back yard and eventually (stupidly) ended up hooking the two vehicles together for a tug of war. Unfortunately, the gears couldn't hold up to that kind of torture, so the R/C vehicles were taken back to the store. My brother either got a replacement for his Heads Up Hopper or his didn't break down - I don't quite remember - but there was no replacement available for my Tyco Bandit since they were all sold out. When I got a little older, I bought a Tyco Turbo Lamborghini, but it never quite replaced the Bandit. I eventually sold my Lamborghini after getting into other R/C cars, including the Traxxas T-Maxx and Kyosho Mini-Z, but there is still a part of me that hopes I'll get another Tyco Bandit.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 23:09:09 »
still have it, it is the crown jewel personally of my collection. even though others would say its should be the 4by4 bandit.

scorcher

• Platinum Level
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:58:44 »
my first tyco was a taiyo 8xAA hopper my bro give me coz he was getting into the scale electric my dad done the atic out for his track so he give me that i had a blast with it on the coal tips taking a shovel to make jumps and see how fast it would go down the black dusty hills and i broke it of course all the  time but my bro would always manage to fix it till i stripped  the gears that year for xmas my dad bought me a pick up fast traxx which was awesome go up anything and wouldnt get stuck as much as the hopper would
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:16:15 by scorcher »
50 rc toy - hobby cars from 1979-2021

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 20:52:58 »
sad to hear stripped gears.  :-[

turbobandit

• Bronze Level
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 21:34:02 »
My story also started when i was 7 years old, it was christmas morning and i looked under the tree to find a Nikko Turbo Panther. This was the first R/C car i had ever owned and it started my love for these toys and a collection that still grows today.

Oh yeah the very next christmas i asked for a Radio Shack Golden Arrow and received a Nikko Big Bubba instead...LMAO.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 22:01:07 »
nice, never have really done much with nikko.

turbobandit

• Bronze Level
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 22:59:38 »
Well back in the day we could go into our local radioshack which was in the mall and u could buy either Nikko or Radioshack r/c cars which really where the same just different stickers. Back then there were a bunch to choose from and you could test drive them before you bought them. Those were the good ole days.

If you wanted tyco products you had to get them from toysrus or service merchandise and you couldnt test drive them, but i remember it was always fun looking at the r/c cars on display inside the glass at toysrus..lol

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 23:10:50 »
sadly i wasn't around till a couple years later haha

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 00:35:28 »
i remember the days of radio shacks and nikko, for the most part i usually got radio shack since they were cheaper but like mentioned under neath they were all nikko, most of the nikko an r/s cars back then were a ways ahead of tyco with digital proportianal and power. the hoppers and bandits are pretty fast but i had a radio shack blue shark buggy same as most the other 9.6 nikkos and radio shack buggies with different body that would pretty blow the tires off the tycos

i remember lookin at the r/cs in the glass cases at toys r us too, back then there were scorpions, black thunders a few similair type trucks and they had them for upto 300 bucks which was alot!!

my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 00:38:27 »
speakin of toys r us, i was there tonight christmas shopping, have you guy seen the fast lane 1/10 scale dessert type trucks they have there, theyre border line hobby grade/toy compared to anything ive seen in a store as of yet, i believe 9.6 volt and on sale for 35 bucks they look pretty cool and also look like they will hold up better than any store bought r/c. theyre all plastic but have the same design as far as drive shafts and shock towers and control arms, someone should try one out
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

Tuck

• Copper Level
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 16:20:21 »
Wow, as a child we were very poor, my dad left to early to remember so with a single income family and four kids our Christmas's we never "great" I never had cool toys.
One day I was helping the lady that owned the trailer park we lived in moving groceries from her car to her house, I was ten, and while dropping groceries in her kitchen the bandit commercial came on and stopped me dead in my tracks, she apparently saw this, the next month was Christmas and there was a box on the steps outside Christmas morning and it was for me, it was a bandit... She never admitted to buying it but I know she did, that was the highlight of my childhood, that truck meant everything to me, I'm 28 now and I told my wife no matter what it takes, one day I will have another bandit.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 16:59:51 »
wow, well welcome to the sight, this is a great place to start, and possibly find one to own.

Tuck

• Copper Level
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 20:00:23 »
Hey thanks, a year ago or so I saw a red bandit, brand new in the box on ebay for 300 or so and I thought that was a bit much, but now, let me find another one like that for sale, that's a wrap!
Thanks for this forum and thanks for the greeting!