Author Topic: Wyldwing*Con  (Read 4336 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Wyldwing*Con
« on: September 21, 2010, 05:34:58 »
A few days ago, Wylders texted me to tell me he was going to be in town Sunday through Tuesday, and asked if I'd like to get together for gaming. "I'm going to be staying @ the Hyatt Regency" he said.  We settled on meeting up for an evening of gaming at Jason's house Monday evening.

The Hyatt Regencey is one of the hotels where they have Dragon*Con, and when I met up with Wylders around 4:30pm, I took him on a quick tour of the area using the skywalks that connect the different hotels.  We had dinner at Moe's in the Peachtree Center foodcourt, then made our way over to the Hilton, so I could show him the gaming basement.  ;D  Not quite as impressive in the dark with all the tables gone, but I think my description of the room in full swing piqued Wyldwing's interest.

Then we headed to Jason's.  We got there early, so we went to my apartment to pick out some games.  We chose Dominion, Smallworld and Dungeon Lords. When we got back up to Jason's, he still wasn't there, so we called Jason's dog Wendy out to the back yard to throw the frisby for a bit.  Eventually, I just ended up calling Jason and he told us we could go ahead and wait inside.

Once inside,  we decided the best way to pass the time would be to play some quick Zombie Dice.  That was back at my apartment, so I walked down to get it, and by the time I got back, Jason was home.  Apparently, Jason had come in talking on his phone.  He'd seen Wylder's sitting in his living room, waved and kept walking, totally nonplussed to have a stranger alone in his house.

Jason had known we were coming , of course.  He'd actually been a bit reluctant to do the gaming, because he was concerned about a tax issue he was having.  The IRS had sent letters, and Jason said he had 'till the 23rd to get it taken care of.  After about 3 minutes talking to Wyldwing: CPA, Jason was feeling much better about things and was quite a bit more relaxed about an evening of gaming.

We cracked into Dominion and tried a setup using the Black Market.  I bought one early on and actually ended up getting a few cards from that deck.  At that point, Jason got a call from Teeter saying that she and Maia were going to be there in about 5 minutes.  I had just bought the Witch from the Black Market deck and we decided to call the game to set one up to include the girls.  Coincidence?  Somewhat.

The evening progressed with several smoke breaks.  Everyone there beside Wylders and myself smoke.  At one point, I pointed this out to him, and suggested we stop sitting at the table being game nerds, and hang out with the cool kids outside. 

I cleaned up the table with our full game of Dominion.  Then I won the game of Mall of Horrors by getting Wyldwing to vote my way in a critical choice of who to throw to the zombies. 

I think we all had a great time and one thing was unanimously decided through the course of the evening:  I am a dick. 8)

On the drive back to the hotel I played Wyldwing a few songs from Teeter's album.  It's on iTunes.  Check it out here.

We also discussed the possibility of him coming up next year for Dragon*Con, and he definately seemed interested.  All in all, a very cool evening.  It's really been great the past few weeks having some of my friends meet some of my other friends.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: Wyldwing*Con
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 18:24:40 »
Thanks for making the time to pick me up and hang out.  It was something that I wish I could build into every out of town assignment at work, but alas, we can't go to Atlanta every time.  But every time I am able, I will let you know!

I see a Dragon Con in my future as long as I have a place to stay...perhaps I could stay at Mayas...hmmmm...

By the way, I am no longer Wylders or Charles.  You can all call me "Mystery Guy".  That was my moniker for a short while and the evil connotations it has excites me.  Mystery Guy...yeah...that'll do Teeter...that'll do.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 18:33:24 »
That's cool. If you can fit Dragon*Con into your schedule around your daughter's birthday, maybe we can do that road-trip together next year.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 19:15:58 »

...perhaps I could stay at Mayas...hmmmm...

Down, boy...
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"