Author Topic: Idea - Aliases  (Read 5107 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Idea - Aliases
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:50:45 »
Since we've got this Descent game going now, I got thinking, wouldn't it be cool if we could set up our profiles to display an Alias on our messages based on which board we were posting in. It would still show our primary display name, just not as prominently. My profile might show up something like this in the Forum-based Games board:

Zartan the Shadow
(Dragon)
Administrator
Platinum Level

What do you guys think? Something I should look into? Or pointless waste of time?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Idea - Aliases
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 14:13:37 »
Would there be any way for an admin to apply that to the messages? 

Ideally, something that switches the image based on the forum. 

It's a cool idea.  How many of those aliases would it be able to support?
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Idea - Aliases
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 14:26:20 »
I'm not sure what you mean by having an admin apply it to the messages. It would be a profile option. You would not be allowed to modify your post to look like it was written by someone else, if that's what you're asking for.

Having a special image for each forum could be cool too. I had briefly thought of that too, I just wasn't sure if I wanted to go that far. If I were to add that, it would probably just be a text field to enter an image URL, just to keep it simple. (I'm still working on the proper ways to pull in profile images based on the way SMF handles them.)

I was thinking that the system should be built to support any number of categories, but probably would only be allowed in areas like Forum-based Gaming.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)