Author Topic: Home Improvement Projects... Again  (Read 3983 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Home Improvement Projects... Again
« on: June 22, 2010, 08:53:03 »
I had a late night tackling hackers on another site that I work on. That was some good fun for me. Today there are some different projects that I need to work on. Our garage needs cleared out and lots of it is random pieces of wood and old cabinet doors - some solid wood, but many are just the standard particle board doors. My task today is to take those materials and make shelves inside our existing cabinets. This is reminiscent of a job that I was working on a few years ago.  :-\  My wife said it would be a good project to get my kids helping with. We'll see how that goes.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

scorcher

• Platinum Level
Re: Home Improvement Projects... Again
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:54:38 »
i love doing d.i.y  but as far as doing it with a few kids ooooooo have fun  ;D
50 rc toy - hobby cars from 1979-2021

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 14:33:08 »
Part of improving our home included clearing some stuff out of the garage. I've had some wood, paneling, and trim in there for a few years now - left over materials from some "professional" home improvement jobs. I pulled it all out of the garage, saved a few things to fix up some shelves in the garage, and gave the rest away. My wife suggested taking it to Habitat for Humanity, so I called them up and asked if they wanted it. I also took the sliding glass doors, one of which had been propped up next to the fence to keep the dogs from jumping into the neighbor's yard.

That was apparently not a good idea. I thought that maybe the dogs had learned where home was and learned enough about staying in our yard not to go over there, but I was wrong. The next day, CeCe had jumped the fence and was getting some action from the neighbor's dog. Our dog is fixed, so I don't think there is a real concern there, other than our dog being disobedient and not coming back into our yard when I hopped the fence to get her. My wife said that if she had known I was taking "that door" then she wouldn't have agreed to it. She asked why I removed the door and I said, "I was just trying to clean up. It didn't look right." To which she replied, "Sometimes there's a thing as too much cleaning up."  :-X 

Since our house has had so many projects of varying success, we had a couple fence gates on the other side of the house that were just wasting away, so my wife suggested using those to block off the corner of the fence where the dogs could jump onto an electrical box to boost themselves up. Hopefully this will hold the dogs in, while looking a bit more like it's supposed to be there, instead of having a sliding glass door in the yard. It's not perfect, but none of the yard is at this point, so what can I do? It's going to take a lot of work to get this yard fixed up... including a lot of work that we have no idea how to do.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 00:10:29 »
I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the backyard, but I consider myself a jack of a few trades. Perhaps I can give you some ideas, or even lend a hand.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:39:25 »
Ideas are definitely welcome. I have no idea what I'm trying to do with the backyard other than make it look better.  ???   Eventually we'd like to build a deck outside the back door, but buying the right materials is going to take some cash that we just don't have right now.