Author Topic: Mushroom Wars  (Read 5815 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Mushroom Wars
« on: May 02, 2010, 22:38:30 »
I've captured the Alien's space ship in Mushroom Wars! That was a tough challenge, but not too tough that I couldn't get through it with a limited amount of time. Well... honestly, I've only beaten the final level on Easy Mode.

When I bought this game, I hadn't actually planned on buying it for myself. My son enjoyed playing the demo and begged me to get the full game because he wanted to play more than just the first 5 levels of the game. He wanted to be able to play more Skirmishes and higher levels of the campaign. Of course, once we got the game, he quickly realized that beyond level 5 it got quite tough.

To give you some background about the game of which I'm referring, Mushroom Wars is a simple RTS-style game for the PS3. Each battle is played in an area that is visible at the screen at all times. Your troops can't build new buildings, but they can upgrade the ones that exist, or they can convert them into other types of buildings. Villages can increase your number of troops, towers or good for attacking the enemy before they reach another point, and forges make your troops stronger. The Mushroom people/troops that you control can move between the different buildings (villages, towers, and forges) but once you send them out, there's no pulling them back. If you see that they are doomed, you're out of luck. Sometimes you can redirect them, if for example, you've order all your troops to go from one village to another, by telling all of them to go to another place. This seems to cut off the previous orders for anyone who hadn't left the village yet. Not the best way to withdraw troops.

Fun game. Interesting controls, but not too difficult to get used to. Games play quickly, so I could beat a few levels in just a half hour or less sometimes. I still haven't beaten any Skirmishes, but maybe now that I've gotten through the campaign I will have built up enough skill to beat them. Of course, I still have the Normal and Hard modes to go through, so plenty of game play left.

The demo from the PlayStation store lets you play the first 5 levels of the campaign. If you like them, the rest of the game is more of the same, just getting tougher and tougher along the way. Work your way through all 5 levels of the demo before making a decision. The controls are a little strange, but not too difficult if you keep trying. (I know... it sounds bad, but it really isn't. For how the game works, I can't think of any custom configuration that I'd want.)
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: Mushroom Wars
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:06:18 »
I really liked the demo, played the five level probably three times through. I would consider buying the game.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 17:42:22 »
Looks like a demo I must download considering I finished GOW.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:07:11 »
I bought the game, played the first few boards today. Had to quit to go to work.
More of the same, just what I was looking for.

Mac

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:40:15 »
Yeah...I enjoyed the Demo before the PS3 died...I love sending heaps of soldiers out to battle.  It's a fun little game.  Too bad I'll be too busy playing Gears of War on the Xbox 360 that I won't get to enjoy Mushroom Wars...

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 22:24:41 »
wow, this game is tough.
I was able to beat all the easy levels, and a few normal. I only played the easy when I got wiped out on the normal level. Still that meant playing all the last levels on easy. I'll have to go back and try to get the normal levels done, now that I see what is needed to win each scenario.
I found the four equal starts to be the hardest, me against three AI players. I was able to get it on easy around the tenth time.

Mac

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:32:02 »
Played some more, cool game, very frustrating at the hard, even normal, levels.
I've managed to get the first half of the campaign games beaten on hard mode, but some of the next ones I can't even beat on Normal. I'll keep plugging away though.
I played a local game against my son, he beat me. I thought I had him, but at the end I seen he had 20 troops in most of his villages, whereas I had zero, having lost the big battle I conceded. He proceeded to keep kicking my butt, I finally said, I already gave up, do you have to keep at it until they are all dead? He laughed and finally quit attacking me.
I have to get better at it, if I hope to beat him before he takes off for Army boot camp.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 14:20:13 »
Yes, it's good to have direction and purpose... and your son going into boot camp should be a good thing too. ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 16:51:02 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"