Author Topic: Spammers  (Read 7760 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Spammers
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:24:08 »
I've deleted as ton of spam from this particular forum.  It occurs to me that it might be the keyword "Tampa Bay" that's getting the attention of their search engines.  A rename might be in order if possible.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Spammers
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 16:31:16 »
Thanks for doing your part to keeping the forum clean!

You make a good point about the keyword, but unfortunately "Tampa Bay" is a keyword that I'd really like the search engines to keep. It might also be that the URL to this specific board has already been spread to a group of spammers as an easy target. Maybe we could restrict this board to members who have already achieved a certain membership level based on post count. Non-spammers could be encouraged to post more in the General gaming area, since brand new members are less likely to join us for an event before becoming a little more active on the site.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 08:48:58 »
Is this how I found you, Nathaniel?  I know it was via a web search...but it might have actually been the title of this forum...

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:21:30 »
It might have been.

Update: Cinemax has volunteered as a moderator, so we have a new Troll Slayer in town!

Another update: I've restricted posting a bit in the Tampa Bay Gaming Groups section. Copper Level members are no longer able to post new topics.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 22:49:51 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 06:28:59 »
Do what you must to get rid of the spam.
I think I found the site using dragon in my search, and port richey, which pulls both New Port Richey and Port Richey. But, it could have been tampa as well. *shrugs*

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 07:32:03 »
I wasn't referring to the whole site.  Most of the spam that I've deleted has been from the "Tampa Bay Gaming" section.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 08:09:08 »
I wasn't referring to the whole site.  Most of the spam that I've deleted has been from the "Tampa Bay Gaming" section.

I understand. My adjustment to permissions was only on the Tampa Bay Gaming section. (At least, that's all it should have affected. Please let me know if anyone notices any adverse affects.)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 22:42:45 »
Spammers have been coming back heavy this week. I'm considering setting up a staging area. Please let me know your thoughts on this as it would require new members to post a few times in a separate board that is not visible to any other members. Hopefully this would deter the bots, which I'm sure make up a majority of the spammers.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 07:56:12 »
Novel approach to a common problem. I would say that the bots would not know nobody could see the posts and post anyways. Just my $0.005, that's half a penny in case you didn't know. About all I can muster up for doing things currently.
Hey, anyone up for a Friday night game extravenganza? Oh, wait, I'd have to pony up $ for gas and drinks and snacks and stuff.   ???  I guess I could do that. Anybody else?

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:43:41 »
The plan for the staging area would be to keep things out of view and make it easy to clean up spam all in one place. The problem that I see is that people who might not read much of the forum may not understand why they can't find the place where they wanted to post once they register. The staging method is something that I read about and I know other forums have used it, but I didn't know if it was a recognized method for regular users. I'm curious if anyone here has been to other sites that use that kind of thing yet.

By the way, gaming on Friday sounds fun. I'm not so keen on inviting spammers though.  ;)  However, that's my anniversary. Maybe next week.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:54:14 by Dragon »

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 04:20:18 »
If the spammers would pay my way, I'd invite them.   ;D