Author Topic: Gaming Oath  (Read 6114 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Gaming Oath
« on: October 17, 2008, 10:22:41 »
Today the county schools are closed, so both of my kids are home. This means that the time I normally have to work on homework will be interrupted very few minutes by the children fighting or asking me for something. So... while drinking my morning coffee, I decided to relax and pop over to BGG where I noticed a thread called "You Never Told Me That Rule!" -- Rules You Most Certainly Told Them.

There, a member named Jonathan Ferro mentioned this, in reference to Perudo: "The pub table rule is that each player must raise their hand to indicate that they have heard and acknowledged that aces are not wild. The game does not proceed until each player has a hand raised. For the remainder of that round there's no point in arguing that you didn't know, because the rest of us wouldn't have moved on unless we saw your hand. If you *forgot*, that's a different *story*, but still the same penalty."

I'm sure anyone who has ever taught anyone else how to play a game has come across a situation where critical rules were missed. Maybe in the future we should adopt a method of taking a gaming oath when critical rules are mention. All in favor raise your right hand. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:34:54 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Gaming Oath
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 16:02:07 »
                ;D      ;D                AYE!!!
         ;D     ;D     ;D
           ;D    ;D    ;D
     ;D     ;D   ;D   ;D   
         ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D          ;D
             ;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
                ;D ;D :o ;D ;D
                  ;D ;D ;D ;D
                     ;D ;D ;D
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:59:58 »
OMG!! Did that take hours or what?

Ernie

• Gold Level
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:05 »
I seem to recall thinking that Dragon oftne failed to make mention of some gaming rules! lol

E
Click on this link and help hatch my Dragons!
http://dragcave.net/user/Y%27oshii%20Capone

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:01:15 »
That's true. I have accidentally misinterpreted rules or forgot about them until something came up that reminded me about them. Those situations are definitely uncomfortable for me. However, I remember more often dealing with people who didn't pay any attention to the rules, or rushed me through the overview only to get themselves stomped and complain that I didn't explain something properly. My brother, Tim, has actually been the biggest offender in that department. Of course, I forget the rules mid-game sometimes too, so I try to be understanding when I get the same questions over and over again. And I also try to keep my complaining to a minimum when I screw up because of something I forgot.  :P
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Ernie

• Gold Level
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:31:30 »
That's true. I have accidentally misinterpreted rules or forgot about them until something came up that reminded me about them. Those situations are definitely uncomfortable for me. However, I remember more often dealing with people who didn't pay any attention to the rules, or rushed me through the overview only to get themselves stomped and complain that I didn't explain something properly. My brother, Tim, has actually been the biggest offender in that department. Of course, I forget the rules mid-game sometimes too, so I try to be understanding when I get the same questions over and over again. And I also try to keep my complaining to a minimum when I screw up because of something I forgot.  :P

I guess that is acceptable! :)
Click on this link and help hatch my Dragons!
http://dragcave.net/user/Y%27oshii%20Capone

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:05:10 »
Yeah, I suppose we could let it slide..... this time.
But watch out if you do it again. :P

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!