Author Topic: Some games should just end quicker  (Read 4215 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Some games should just end quicker
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:12:05 »
We were invited to go to Candace and Blain's to play board games after my class tonight. Since I've still got plenty of homework to do this week, I said that I wanted to get home by 10PM. We played one game, Red Letter, which is a Scrabble-style word-game. Unfortunately, it ended up taking a bit longer than expected.

The game was fun, much more fun than I ever remember having with Scrabble. When it got close to the end of the game though, it just seemed to stretch out forever. Of course, this was probably amplified to me because of my plan to get home and study. I really think the ending for the game should be when the last tile is drawn, or maybe one turn after. People could still plan their end game strategies around the last few tiles they have, it just wouldn't end up lasting an hour past when it otherwise should have.

In the end Beth had about 5 more points than me. Blain followed and Candace said, "It's a win for the girls!" while she had nearly 100 points less than Blain.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Some games should just end quicker
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 16:11:33 »
The way you talk about Candace... on one hand it sounds like I would dread the experience.  On the other, I'd love the opportunity to throw off her startegy of latching on to another stronger player by upsetting the balance.

Seriusly though, it sounds like you need to find team games that the four of you can play, or at least team variations of other games.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Some games should just end quicker
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 21:02:38 »
Yes, team games do work out better. Outburst was a pretty good one. Battle of the Sexes was ok except the questions really make the game rather one-sided. Games where you really can't just give anything away seem to work well too, like Sleuth for example.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)