Author Topic: Why did I say that?  (Read 5165 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Why did I say that?
« on: October 11, 2008, 22:17:46 »
I don't know why I say some of the things I say. I'm generally a quiet person, and usually like to think about what I have to say before I say it. (That's one reason why I hate being on the phone.) Unfortunately, this also means that I don't usually have quick come backs when people make jokes or slam me about things. In addition to that, I'm great at putting my foot in my mouth when I make quick comments between friends, although I don't usually realize it at the time that I do it. My friend Chris has been the unfortunate one to take the brunt of my unmoderated statements. It's not that I've meant to be rude, but when I think back about some of the things I've said, I'm very sorry that they sounded the way that they did, since I never meant them to be that way.

So... to Chris, I'm sorry. "Caliber" was definitely not what I meant. "Anyone could make one" also is definitely a false statement, and I can't, for the life of me, think of where I was going with that comment when I said it about designing a game. Obviously there are many people in the world who never have. I hope you will forgive my verbal slips, especially since they weren't meant to be harmful comments.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: Why did I say that?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 13:51:38 »
Did something happen after I left?  I didn't find your comment offensive...but then, I have not designed a game.

I do think you're comment was right, however.  Anyone can design a game.  Kami designed one in Chris' dream...remember?  :)

Designing one that plays well and is enjoyable is a much harder task.  I personally think that the dungeon game had promise...and piedra was coming along VERY nicely.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for Chris and his ability and think that a game designed by the two of you together would be a hit on the game shelves.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 16:13:52 »
Nothing happened after you left except a quiet ride home which gave time for reflection.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 13:21:48 »
I gotta parrot Charles on this one... did I miss something? ???

I vaguely remember us talking about the games we're working on, but don't remember anything insulting.  When I read the first paragraph, I actually thought you were talking about those jokes that were flying around the hobby shop.  Maybe I didn't realize because I was drowsy after all the accounting talk. :D

I think that all of us have said things that we regret that no one else even notices.  Doesn't stop us from beating ourselves up over it.  Whenever I think about one of those moments I usually give one loud, unconscious laugh to cover my own emberasment.  I actually did it during that same evening, if you recall.  You both looked around and asked me what I thought was so funny.  So don't worry about it.  If I was upset over something you said, I'd post about it on the forum Wyldwing style.  ;)

...just kidding.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 15:37:43 »
Honestly, I don't remember personally saying any jokes that I was ashamed of. Our usual jokes about Bang! and Settlers are all in good fun. Maybe the others who were telling jokes felt the same about what they were saying, but I won't vouch for them. I guess my uncomfortable laugh could have provided mixed signals about how I felt about them, but from what I've read, uncontrollable laughter (even if subtle) can be a sign of discomfort.

I'm glad that the comments I'm referring to here were not anything that you've taken to heart. I'm actually very good at beating myself up for years about stupid little things that other people have either long forgotten or never caught in the first place. At least this time I've brought it out in the open so that I won't torture myself forever.