Author Topic: HeroScape: Battle for the Underdark - Dungeons and Dragons Master Set  (Read 4484 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
The first time that I played HeroScape, I imagined it as a simplified D&D game. In some ways I'm surprised that it took this long for Hasbro to make an official D&D product of it, but anyway, it's available now as the HeroScape: Battle for the Underdark - Dungeons and Dragons Master Set. It's currently #4 on the top sellers list at Funagain.com, bringing the Castle Set along with it on the charts. Do you think that HeroScape may eventually be a normal addition for D&D groups?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: HeroScape: Battle for the Underdark - Dungeons and Dragons Master Set
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 13:03:51 »
I don't think so. The biggest thing about D&D is getting to make your character unique. Be it changing your armor, weapon, shield, what have you, the uniqueness would go away if you always played with the barbarian with an axe over his head. I know it's nitpicking, but I don't see it as going hand in hand with the actual D&D pen and paper games. Usually there is not enough room to set up a castle and show where each figure is precisely located.

Just my two cents.

mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: HeroScape: Battle for the Underdark - Dungeons and Dragons Master Set
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 13:23:45 »
If a D&D group already plays with miniatures, those figures are static anyway, even if the characters that they represent change. I think the real difference would be in how the characters are represented in the HeroScape game vs. the D&D game. If all things were equal, I think using HeroScape boards for combat situations would clarify a lot of problems that I've had with RPG groups that I've been involved with in the past. Most of those situations were close enough that they could have been represented on a HeroScape game board quite easily. (Problems that I've dealt with usually were miscommunication between the Dungeon/Game Master and other players on the distance that an opposing character was away from things and how they could get from one place to another.)
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)