Author Topic: Adapting Books to Film  (Read 6724 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Adapting Books to Film
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:32:45 »
(or "Why Literary Snobs Should Just Keep Their Noses In Books and Out of the Theater")
   a rant by TylerChuit... soon to be a major motion picture, starring Sam Worthington as Dragon.

If you have ever loved a book, and been really excited to see that it was being adapted into a movie, only to be horribly and bitterly disappointed in the theater, you are not alone.   I have enjoyed a great many books over the years.  Some of them have been made into movies, and most of those had been disappointing for my first viewing.

My first such experience was the Isaac Asimov book, Nightfall.  That thing was not even remotely similar to the book beyond the basic premise of a world with three suns having all of them set at once, and the populous going totally apesh*t because that only happens every several hundred years or so, and no one saw it coming in time to invent the light bulb.  I can't now remember all the ways it was a horrible movie, I just remember being extremely pissed off at how they had completely ruined a great book, and butchered the genius of Isaac Asimov.  I remember also having similar feelings years later at the Will Smith I, Robot movie.

It wasn't until I met a guy I worked with at an art store in Atlanta, that I had any perspective on obsessing over such things.  This man, let's call him Scott, had loved Lord of the Rings since he had been a young boy, and trust me when I say that was a long time.  I had the pleasure to know Scott during the period that they were releasing the LoTR movies, and could question him on all things Tolkien. 

One of Scott's major complaints was that they had completely left Tom Bombadil out of the movies.  Tom's major contribution to the books had been more of a cameo.  At one point, he strolls along and saves the four hobbits from being eaten by a tree between the time of leaving the shire and meeting up with Aragorn.  He's also the one who gives the hobbits swords early on, a task given to Aragorn in the movie.  Other than that, he shows up at the end of the last book and sails away on one of the boats... that's it.

Scott maintained that Tom Bombadil was the most important character in the books, and when I questioned him on it, he explained that in the Silmarillion, Tom is one of the creators of Middle Earth...

"So when you said he was the most important in the books, you meant ALL the books"
   "Right!"
   "... but the movies don't include ALL the books, just the three about the last journey of the 'one ring'."
   "Unfortunately, yeah."
   "So, he's not pivotal to THAT story, and could probably be trimmed out of what would otherwise be three 12 hour movies if you included EVERYTHING."
   "I suppose so, but it's just not Lord of the Rings without Tom Bombadil in it..."

Most of his other criticisms were along the same lines.  Like the lake monster at the entrance to Moria not being as terrifying as it was in the book...

"So you're saying that the thing you could actually see on the screen now in a movie theater wasn't as terrifying as the thing you imagined in your mind during a time in your youth where things could scare you more easily, and were probably reading it for the first time under your covers with a flashlight?"
  "I'm just saying it could have been scarier..."

Scott never needed to see the LoTR movies, as exciting as the concept of having your imagination brought to life is, because the truth of it is, that will never happen.  You will see someone else's imagination brought to life, and fit into a mold of time and budgetary constraints.  The movie in Scott's head was way better than any movie that could ever be shown in the theaters... to Scott.  The same is true for every person with an imagination who likes to read.  Every person who reads books takes that story and makes it their own through the power of their imagination.  Very few people wouldn't be disappointed at least a little when seeing changes made to that.

In order for that to be okay, we as literary folk need to accept that every medium of storytelling is different, and carries with it different constraints.  Sometimes, entire characters have to be removed and their parts given to other characters, or else the story changed to play more interestingly in a visual medium.  In a movie, there's not much you can leave to the imagination, whereas in books, imagination is all you have.  Some things just don't work as well.  Also, I've noticed that dialogue can be super corny in written form, and it's okay because we are able to read the line without having to deal with the fact that there's virtually no way it can be said aloud without sounding stupid.  That's why Stephen "it's ripping hunks of meat out of him!" King is so beloved, but movies based on his books are the opposite of that.  ;)

To call an adaptation terrible solely because it has changes from the book version is really unfair.  Any movie or book should be judged on how well it tells its story, without factoring in other forms and versions of the story.  The biggest reason for this is that the story does not exist on its own, but is filtered through the storyteller.  Every good storyteller takes a story and makes it their own.  Peter Jackson tells the stories he's tasked to tell in the way he knew best.   

These stories have the right to be judged on their own merits and not held against the impossible yardsticks of our own minds which, despite all the advancements of computer animation, far outstrip any film.  If you can't do that, you should really just do yourself a favor, and the next time a movie comes out based on a beloved book, go get in bed, grab your flashlight, curl up under the blankets and reread the book sure in the knowledge that your not missing anything except new experiences.

---------

If you're curious what prompted this, I direct you to Netflix.  Reading the bad reviews brought all of the pettiness of my youth back to me.  I do recommend that movie, btw.  I am a fan of the series of books it's based on, and really enjoyed the movie.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:56:44 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Adapting Books to Film
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:13:14 »
Great post! Although I've only experienced this a couple times, I have been in this situation myself, most notably with Hideaway... a movie which had only a couple things in common with Dean Koontz's book... and lacked the most interesting things about the psycho character. Since my friend Dave "Cinemax" is such a huge movie buff, I've heard him say before that if you want to enjoy a movie and a book, watch the movie first, THEN read the book. Maybe that's why I've never watched Eragon.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 14:48:43 »
Time, I think, is also a factor in enjoyment.  In reference to that "Color of Magic" movie, I hadn't read any of those Discworld books in about 10 years, so I remembered the characters, but not the specific details of the story.  I believe that put me in the best position to enjoy it on a nostalgic level, and help smooth over the fact that all things considered, the film wasn't actually THAT good. :)

Another reason for all the thought on this subject was the news that JJ Abrams has secured the rights to Stephen King's Dark Tower series.  In reading the various forum threads, I can already see that fans of the books have WILDLY different ideas about who their dream cast would be.  It's clear to me that when Stephen King started writing the series that he had in some degree based the main character on 1970's Clint Eastwood, and all the illustrations I've seen back this up.  So all the fans are wondering who they'll get.  I've heard everything from Hugh Jackman to Hugh Laurie.  Personally, my money is on Jeff Fahey

That aside, one of the themes of the Dark Tower series is the relationship between the story and the storyteller.  Is the storyteller controlling the story, or is the story driving the teller?  Given the very nature of the books,  there are several options as to wether this will be a direct translation, or a continuation, or something else.  I'm curious to see which direction Abrams will take it.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 13:11:07 »
The Dark Tower has about seven or eight books, (probably should have googled it to be exact) very good story. I was totally wrapped up in this story when it started about fifteen years ago. Since the books slowed down to about every other three years, I fell out of love with it. I have not caught up to the writer yet, I am still on number six (i think its six) with two more to come, or go.
I would watch it, probably nitpiking the details, but I would be wrong on some, since it was fifteen years ago that I read the first book.
I think sometimes the movie ruins the story. I was anxious, and worried, to watch the lord of the rings movies, but in the end I couldn't stay away. I found small differences but overall liked the way the movie played out. I'm really looking forward to watching the beginning of the story with Bilbo and Gandolf in the Hobbit.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

cinemax

• Gold Level
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 19:10:07 »
No Dragon, its read the book then watch the movie. Otherwise you'll see the movie in your head as you read. I agree with TylerChuit on most points. The movie is the movie, the book is the book.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 21:16:19 »
Ahh.... sorry about misquoting you.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:52:33 »
Beth finally read this discussion. She said that maybe I got that suggestion to watch the movie then read the book from her because that's what she prefers.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:18:58 »
Beth never struck me as the person who would read things that might one day be turned into movies.  Apart from maybe the DaVinci Code, which I could totally see needing to watch the movie first just to get a handle on it. 

Then again, I don't really know how Beth spends her free time, other than rearranging your house.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 09:27:08 »
Beth doesn't read as many stories as she did when younger, but most of the stuff she is interested in is like Little House on the Prairie, old pilgrim family kind of stuff. She recently watched a different version of Heidi that I'd never seen before and she commented on how it was much closer to the book than the version that Shirley Temple made famous.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:49:39 »
The only thing I remember about Little House on the Prairie is how excited the little girl was about going to town to spend her "shiny, new penny" she got for Christmas.