Author Topic: There is too much going on, but at least I'm enjoying life  (Read 4512 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
There is too much going on, but at least I'm enjoying life
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:43 »
I've been having a pretty good week. I visited my mom again over the weekend and each day since then I've gotten through another chapter of my required reading (homework) and I've managed to get some web dev work done and even fit in some couch time with the family (watched the very first episode of The Addams Family last night and part of a movie called The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother starring Gene Wilder through NetFlix).

I added some new web stat functions to Yacht-Shots and on Fuel Radio there were some adjustments made to the Premium Fuel page to help people keep track of their QuickPlay points available. I'm still formulating the idea for building another game for Dragon's Hobbies.

The request for another game came from TylerChuit, and he is encouraging me to use Flash for the game. (I say another game because a few years ago I built an online version of Conquest of the Empire. It was the first in-depth game that I had ever programmed. I learned quite a bit about PHP from that project, and this one might just be what I need to get into Flash more. I know that I can use PHP behind the scenes to provide information from the database, but I still have some experimentation to do to see if it will be beneficial for me to use Flash. For my final project in my "Introduction to Flash" class I built a website for my dad using Flash, but even though it met all the requirements of my assignment and my dad seems to like the site, it's not a very good example of what Flash can do.

This weekend my wife and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary! Can you believe it? I guess to celebrate my wife wants to go look at some houses (her choice)... then we can go out to Carrabbas (my choice)! My grandparents and Uncle Sheldon (the guy who got me playing Conquest of the Empire, Cathedral, and BattleStar Galactica, among other games) will be coming to Florida for a little while, so we'll have to make some time for them too. And hopefully next Tuesday I'll get some game time in with my friends.

So... I have lots of things in the works, lots of ideas floating around, and lots of things that I'd love to do. Unfortunately, there is only so much time, so I'm trying to do my best to balance things.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: There is too much going on, but at least I'm enjoying life
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:28:24 »
Sounds like you've got it balanced out pretty well.  Contratulations!! It's tough!!

Happy Anniversary to you and Beth!  15 years is awesome! 

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:24:46 »
Thanks!
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 14:14:34 »
And hopefully next Tuesday I'll get some game time in with my friends.

Was this your way of saying you were free this evening, or were you planning to go to Wyldwing's house to watch him play his new, sexy, violent video game?
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:47:30 »
LOL... well... I'm not planning on going anywhere to watch someone play a video game.

Lazer, my youngest brother, is staying with us this week and my dad said that we have to keep him working on something, not sitting around just playing video games. On Sunday, Beth decided that we should definitely make the back room into an office. (The cats kept jumping on my desk, knocking things off, breaking one of my dragon figures and a ceramic knight's helmet, so the new office is a cat-free zone.) Although the move was great for setting up a nice work area, it took all day to move stuff in there and the rest of the house is in complete disarray. Lazer has been helping us scan documents into the computer to get rid of piles of paper, but there is still a lot of cleaning up to do.

I was thinking that if you guys were going to be getting together that I'd try to get out there for a couple hours though, but hadn't seen anything on the calendar or discussions since then, so I'm assuming that you guys haven't planned anything.