Author Topic: Fidget Spinners  (Read 5835 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Fidget Spinners
« on: May 05, 2017, 21:00:17 »
Today's hot topic is fidget spinners. They were mentioned at work... a top seller, and we even had a couple people in our IT room that won them from answering a random trivia question regarding how many of one of our other top selling products had sold this year.

When I got home, I was surprised to find out that my son was interested in buying a couple that he had seen on Amazon. Well... not too surprised, because apparently this thing is selling like hot cakes everywhere. Many of them are on backorder. When I was picking a couple out on Amazon, one of the items that I had added to my cart was sold out before I could complete the transaction.  :(  Anyway, we got some ordered...

While we were talking about it at work, one guy was saying how dumb it was... and then we had a little flashback to some things that were similar in our younger years - such as the Pet Rock. 
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

scorcher

• Platinum Level
Re: Fidget Spinners
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 16:37:34 »
MY SONS ARE MAD FOR SPINNERS AND FIDGETS AT THE MO REMINDS OF THE tamagotchi CRAZE
50 rc toy - hobby cars from 1979-2021

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 17:01:25 »
I remember the tamagotchi stuff... back before everyone had a billion video games available in their pocket... I suppose in a Higher Tech age, Low Tech gadgets are more unique.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

derelicte

• Silver Level
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 19:54:54 »
I have a few fidget spinners already. They're those two things on my motorcycles that hold the tires on.  8)

One thing the fidget spinner (FS) does demonstrate is the gyroscopic effect. This is felt by turning the FS while it's spinning. Holds true in motorcycle racing. If you have less spinning mass, it's easier to turn into a curve. That's why lighter wheels make so much difference in handling.
A man's perception creates his own reality.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 21:01:10 »
I've spun them a little, and yes, I have noticed that gyroscopic effect. I hadn't thought about it with motorcycles, but thanks for giving us the comparison.