General Category > Blogs

Programming with the kids

(1/1)

Dragon:
My oldest kids have started programming in Python at school. I think it's really cool. I was showing some stuff to my daughter and had suggested using rainbow colors for a circle. (Originally, I she was drawing multiple circles, with different colors for each one, but the words came out a little different as I was leaving the room.) My son took up the challenge though and came up with this... which I just had to show off...

Attached is a screenshot of the end result... he said it's not perfect, but I told him he can update it, but this was great. (This was done on repl.it.) I'm going to challenge my kids some more with this...

--- Code: ---import turtle

t = turtle.Turtle()
t.speed(100)

for i in range(11):
  t.pencolor('red')
  t.forward(10)
  t.right(5)
for i in range(11):
  t.pencolor('orange')
  t.forward(10)
  t.right(5)
for i in range(11):
  t.pencolor('yellow')
  t.forward(10)
  t.right(5)
for i in range(11):
  t.pencolor('green')
  t.forward(10)
  t.right(5)
for i in range(10):
  t.pencolor('blue')
  t.forward(10)
  t.right(5)
for i in range(11):
  t.pencolor('purple')
  t.forward(10)
  t.right(5)
for i in range(10):
  t.pencolor('pink')
  t.forward(10)
  t.right(5) 
--- End code ---

Dragon:
I figured I'd update this thread since it was the first one that I found when I was looking for a link to recommend. Here are some sites that you might want to check out if you or your kids are interested in programming.

codecombat.com - This is a great place to start! It's has a fun interactive adventure game that you get to write code in.
codecademy.com - After codecombat.com, you might want to check out some more languages at codecademy.
codingame.com - This one is my favorite place to exercise, but you'd need to have some of the basics down already for this site.
code.org - Maybe the most publicly known due to campaigns to teach programming, this is an interesting one that I've tried and recommend, but I haven't done much on it myself.

By the way, http://resizeimage.net/ is a great place to adjust your images to upload here. Try 600x400px size to stay under the 512KB limit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version