Author Topic: Pharoah's 9  (Read 7874 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Pharoah's 9
« on: September 01, 2015, 23:10:51 »
A while back I had come across a video game called Pharoah's 9 at the children's hospital. I played the game with my son enough to catch onto the rules and eventually I wrote them down so that I wouldn't forget how to play. I looked online quite a bit trying to find the game again, assuming that it must have existed before in board game format... it wasn't a very complex video game and it was simple enough for me to learn all of the rules even though the video game format required the players to take a move within 5 seconds or so.

I've been teaching new players the game using Looney Pyramids (AKA Icehouse or IceDice pieces) and a game board that I drew out myself, which seemed very fitting for the name of Pharoah's 9 to be playing with pyramid shaped pieces.

Tonight I discovered the name that the game is more commonly known as - 9 Men Morris. It is available for online play at BoardSpace (http://boardspace.net/english/about_morris.html) and there is a listing about the game on Board Game Geek (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3886/nine-mens-morris).
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
Re: Pharaoh's 9
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 23:57:00 »
A friend asked for a PDF copy of the game after we played it and I've finally decided to include it here on the site. By the way, I noticed that I previously misspelled Pharaoh as Pharoah. The attached file has it spelled correctly, which is part of the reason why I couldn't find it to post on the site earlier... since I kept searching for the wrong spelling every time.

Anyway, this is a fun game. I hope you'll try it out and enjoy it. If you do and you're interested in picking up a magnetic travel size version of the game, check out Nine Men's Morris on Funagain.com.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
Re: Pharaoh's 9 - Nine Mens Morris
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 16:48:57 »
Looking for a web based version of Nine Mens Morris which doesn't require installing Flash or Java? Check out this one: http://www.smartlittlegames.com/ninemensmorris ... One thing that I've noticed different about this web version though is that you ARE allowed to move back to the same place where you're piece last moved from, which means that you have to watch out for the CPU to move out and back to zap you without requiring a spacer turn in between, so you don't need as strong of a setup as you would based on the games I've played before. Another thing I've noticed is that if you have 3 in a row, they aren't always protected - if they are your last three, the CPU can eliminate one to claim the win.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 17:29:37 by Dragon »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
Re: Nine Men's Morris
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 21:28:11 »
Tonight I came across another description of the ancient game with pictures of the game board carved into stone. http://www.ancientgames.org/nine-mens-morris/

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
Re: Pharoah's 9
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 10:48:32 »
Even several years later, trying to find Pharaoh's 9 online is very difficult. It looks like it was included in a set of games in a system called MegaTouch and also under the name Touch2Play. I've found the game title confirmed to be part of a set on http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=159920.0, but no screenshots... so, I'm going to include some photos of the game that I saw in 2014.