Author Topic: Red November  (Read 4227 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Red November
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:29:39 »
Designed By: Bruno Faidutti & Jef Gontier
Published By:  Fantasy Flight Games
3 - 8 Players
Play Time: 60 minutes

You're one of the intrepid crew of the Gnomish Submaine the Red November, but it's a death trap.  Help is on the way, but it will take one hour for your rescuers to arrive.  Until then, you must keep the old tub from sinking to the bottom of the sea, or burning from the inside out, or being eaten by the terrible Kraken.

On your turn you can take as many minutes as you need to move and perform one action, but you only get 60 minutes each, and the longer you take, the further along the time track you progress, and the more bad things happen in the sub.  Turn order is determined by whoever has the most minutes left, so it's possible for one person to make several short turns if enough other people had made longer turns previously.

Problems that can come up are: fires, flooding and blocked doors.  There are also disaster tracks where problems can accumulate over time.  These represent parts of the ship that need to be fixed like the reactor or oxygen pumps.  Finally, there are timed disasters, where the crew has a certain number of minutes to complete a specific task or be destroyed.

All problems are fixed by die rolls.  For every minute you spend trying to fix the problem, you add 1 to the chance of success.  You can also use tools and other items to help you, each one adding to your chances.  The crew can also drink vodka to help them, but the more you drink, the more chance you have of passing out.  As you can imagine, passing out in a part of a sub that is flooding or catching on fire can be bad for your health.

Finally, if all of the crew time tokens make it to minute zero and the ship hasn't imploded, the crew wins.  There is an option where some crew could evacuate in the last 10 minutes if they had the proper diving equipment.  Those crew members then only win if everyone else loses.

This is a very fun game.  I played it solo controlling 3 crew members and managed to save the sub one of the 2 times through.  The first game, I just had too many fires break out and it sucked up all the oxygen asphyxiating the crew.   

Actual play time for the second game took me a little over an hour, but I would imagine it being a good 20 minutes per player.  Also, the game board is small like Dragon's copy of Condotierre, and even though there a ton of bits to the game, it takes up very little table space.   This could definately be a good choice to take to a fast food place.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:38:21 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Red November
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 12:09:18 »
Sounds cool! Thanks for posting about this.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 20:38:38 »
Interesting....I like the comment about fast food!!! :)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 21:32:31 »
I know my audience. ;)
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"