Author Topic: Tyco Turbo Hopper roll cage  (Read 15914 times)

camoscion

• Copper Level
  • GOT TURBO HOPPER!!!!!!
    • www.longoscion.com
Tyco Turbo Hopper roll cage
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:07:08 »
I got a turbo hopper that had a broken roll cage and i started my Turbo hopper project by building a new roll cage for it here are some of the pics of the car when I got it and were i am with it now. Let me know what you think.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Tyco Turbo Hopper roll cage
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 16:23:34 »
I think it looks very good. Are you going to paint it any color other than white.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

camoscion

• Copper Level
  • GOT TURBO HOPPER!!!!!!
    • www.longoscion.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 13:14:13 »
i was thinking of painting the car white the roll cage black or a camo green with black wheels or maybe paint the car the camo green with chrome outlines and black wheels and roll cage. maybe ill restore it back to the origional colors which are on the first pic. still not sure what do you guys think??

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 14:15:14 »
I think "camo green with chrome outlines and black wheels and roll cage" sounds good. Of course, if you're planning to sell it, original colors might be more popular.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

camoscion

• Copper Level
  • GOT TURBO HOPPER!!!!!!
    • www.longoscion.com
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 20:19:04 »
not planning on selling it this is for personal use i kinda like that fact that there isn't many of the white out there so i don't know I'm working on the roll cage a little more ill post up pics of the progress when i get home tonite.

camoscion

• Copper Level
  • GOT TURBO HOPPER!!!!!!
    • www.longoscion.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 04:19:38 »
this is the progress on the roll cage. i had to putty the holes or the imperfections im going to have to let it dry and tomorrow i will do the sanding and the first layer of primer then i will sand then primer again then paint and clear so here is were im at

tyco toys

• Silver Level
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 07:24:43 »
The cage looks great, much better than expected.   What will you use to sand down the putty without scratching the plastic?     

camoscion

• Copper Level
  • GOT TURBO HOPPER!!!!!!
    • www.longoscion.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 16:00:35 »
i use a really fine nail file then i use sand paper which will be used by hand

tyco toys

• Silver Level
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 17:15:51 »
What grit? I can never get sanded plastic to look smooth/polished.

camoscion

• Copper Level
  • GOT TURBO HOPPER!!!!!!
    • www.longoscion.com
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 20:00:34 »
i start by using 600 grit and finish with 2000 grit that i get from my body shop it takes a little time but its all worth it in the end im going to go home 2nite and ill sand the roll cage with 600 then ill primer the roll cage then ill sand with some 800 then ill put another coat of primer to fill in any imperfections then ill paint then roll cage what ever color i decide on. then ill sand that down with the 2000 grit which is very fine then ill clear coat it and it will be perfect. same will be done to the body.

tyco toys

• Silver Level
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 05:12:42 »
I see, I never put in that much effort. Patience is a virtue I don't have when it comes to painting and sanding.  I'm torn between your color choices.  I'm slightly leaning towards keeping it white.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 10:03:50 »
...that i get from my body shop...

So you're a professional painter? That is a lot of patience. A lot more than I'd ever imagine most people having for sanding and painting. How long does it take, approximately, for you to finish a project like this?

camoscion

• Copper Level
  • GOT TURBO HOPPER!!!!!!
    • www.longoscion.com
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 12:06:13 »
I'm not a professional painter. I am a sales and finance manager at the worlds largest Toyota dealership. we do however have a body shop so I get stuff from my friends over in the shop like,.... tips and what not. I have always enjoyed building models so this isn't far from that. if i had the time i could do this in less than a week but i am going to take my time so ill have it done within a month.

camoscion

• Copper Level
  • GOT TURBO HOPPER!!!!!!
    • www.longoscion.com
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 12:08:23 »
I have already put the first layer of primer on the roll cage and did some of the heavy sanding when I get home from work today ill post up some more pics. I also started putting puddy on the body.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 12:02:18 »
Have you completed it yet?