Author Topic: What is a browser?  (Read 6149 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
What is a browser?
« on: October 26, 2009, 21:00:49 »
A couple years ago I had an assignment to help write a test for a basic computer class. Since it was a basic class I thought I'd cover some stuff about browsers in addition to other things, just to keep things reasonable. I turned in the test and was told that it was too difficult. Apparently something that I found quite simple was completely unknown to most students, even for a computer class in a world heavily reliant on the web.

Today I came across an article that said only 8% of people surveyed in Times Square knew what a browser was. I'd have to guess that Times Square has a pretty well rounded group of people coming through, even if it isn't an average location. I just asked my wife about it and she was only partially correct. Wow. Anyway, check out this site: http://www.whatbrowser.org/

And... if you know what a browser it, I guess congratulations is in order.  :D
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

the unnamable

• Bronze Level
Re: What is a browser?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 22:26:34 »
i find that very shocking with the amount of time people spend on the web i would have thought that would be commen knowledge

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 13:16:17 »
I wonder how many know what an OS is?
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 23:57:42 »
I asked my wife if she knew what an "operating system" was. She started off with a pretty good answer.

"Isn't that Windows? It's what makes it so the screen isn't just black with a bunch of jumbled letters."

I thought that was a decent answer. Then I asked if she knew any other operating systems.

"Firefox? Opera?"

So she has these names somewhere in her brain... just not sure where to connect them.  :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 00:02:57 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:30:25 »
I'm not sure how well my wife will do, I plan to pose the two questions to her when I get home tonight.
She may get the operating system ?, I don't think she'll do well with the browser though.
I don't think she ever heard of opera or firefox.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:41:27 »
i find that very shocking with the amount of time people spend on the web i would have thought that would be commen knowledge

I used to do tech support a billion years ago (well, last century) and the guy who was in charge of buying hardware used to call computers "CPUs". ::)
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:11:48 »
Yeah, I've heard them called CPUs quite a bit too.