Author Topic: Kickstarter: Tymor  (Read 5677 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Kickstarter: Tymor
« on: August 21, 2014, 00:23:10 »
I think this is the first Kickstarter project that I've actually decided to put money toward as a backer... however, it might not even get funded... so I guess in that case, I still won't have backed any project on Kickstarter.

Anyway, for those interested, Tymor is a cool looking fantasy strategy game, with a mix of The Settlers of Catan and Risk, based on what I've read. I haven't actually played the game, so I don't know for sure, but it sounds fun and it looks really cool to me.

Tymor: Fantasy Strategy with Euro Game Finesse needs another $10,000 pledged in the next 5 days to make it.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Kickstarter: Tymor
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 18:06:56 »
Well, the first project that I actually committed to funding on Kickstarter didn't get funded.

Here are a couple comments that I thought some other people, especially those interested in developing their own games at some point, might find interesting.

Dear Backers,

First of all, I want to thank each of you for your support - the social media posts, the encouragement, the great advice, and of course, the cold, hard cash! You've kept this campaign fun, upbeat and energetic, and it's been wonderful to connect with this ad hoc community that we've all created around Tymor. Thanks for that.

It's become clear over the last week or so that this campaign wasn't going to make it. I think there are a few reasons for that: not having stretch goals ready from the very start, high shipping costs to non-US/non-EU locations, GenCon being in full swing, lots of competition from all the other amazing games on Kickstarter, not presenting a fully developed cooperative version at the beginning of the campaign, my being an unknown game designer, etc. Luckily, most of those issues can be managed with a bit more time and planning.

What's also clear is that people want to play Tymor, to experience this neat world that we've been building for the last two years. In less than a month, Kickstarter showed us that we could get preorders for about 20% of the initial print run of 1,500 units. That's some great validation, and it makes me all the more determined to get this game made and into the hands of gamers around the world.

So I've made the decision to cancel funding. Over the next several weeks, I'm going to meet with our artists, graphic designers, playtesters, layout designers, suppliers, folks in the local tabletop design community, maybe even some app developers (!!!!), and decide how to re-launch Tymor.

Sincerest thanks to each of you. Please be in touch with any questions or comments you might have.

Warm regards,

Rex G. Baker IV

And this comment that was posted on Kickstarter a day later:

Thanks for the words of support, folks. I will *absolutely* contact Tymor's existing backers prior to re-launch. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be exploring ways to bring the game's cost down (likely by replacing the minis with meeples/wooden pieces, with minis as a stretch goal), and will continue to test and refine the coop version. I appreciate your patience in the meantime!

Personally, although I had never played the game before, it sounded very interesting and the reviews from the people who had played it seemed favorable enough. Anyway, best wishes to them and I do hope to hear back from them again.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)