Author Topic: problem with rc boat, need help!!!  (Read 7084 times)

moonchild61501

• Copper Level
problem with rc boat, need help!!!
« on: April 17, 2014, 16:25:44 »
hey everyone, heres a break down of the problem and the boat I have
arctic rider aqua rider 305 "black knight" 9.6v
no idea motor size probably a brushed 380.

I did not buy this boat sith the factory controller, I opted to swap the receiver for a flysky and use it with my flysky gt3sb remote.  dialed the trim down on the steering and throttle and It was working fine. suddenly it STOPPED MOVING in the middle of a river, the steering worked fine. but I finally retrieved it, turned it off and magically the motor started working again. so I put it back in the water (that was very stupid) and again it stopped, only a few feet off shore this time. ive played with the trim setting and everything but its run time keeps getting shorter and shorter, the battery is fully charged, and has a good connection. im thinking its the esc (unknown brand but it looks like a cheap one) the second I go full throttle even at 50% full power it stops. is it the esc?

btw the motor is watercooled and pumps fine...when it works >:(

moonchild61501

• Copper Level
Re: problem with rc boat, need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 13:47:12 »
ok I got it working. definitely the esc. just a crappy piece of junk like I thought. picked up an aquacraft 30amp (says 7.2-8.4v) runs great!! even though im using 9.6v 1800mah. doesn't heat up or worry me like it used to.

still got my fishing pole fitted with an attachment to it so IF the boat stops (hasn't yet) or FLIPS (done that 3 times now lol) I can easily retrieve.

moonchild61501

• Copper Level
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 17:14:51 »
hey guys heres a really technical question. I have the boat running, but the problem I have is I have no Idea what the stock pos esc was rated for. it came with no technical sheets or specs at all, but im pretty sure its got a brushed motor (no clue on the size either) I have tried to find anything hinting at what its got in it stock, but all I can find is for sale and really no technical data other than powerful watercooled motor. big help. im hoping that someone here has some way of helping ,me figure it out so I can stop worrying about the damn thing fryin out on the water or catching on fire. it seems to run fine with the  amp esc in it now, but either theyre exaggerating about top speed or it doesn't have high enough amps to run at full power. im a newbie with the amp rating and current flow stuff. like if its
supposed to take a say 50 amp or more esc, wouldn't that make it faster? (more amps to the motor the faster itll turn)
any help would be greatly appreciated so I know for future possibly questionable purchases that have no damn technical data with them, and I choose to (or am forced to lol) put in a replacement esc, I know that my esc is safe with the motor and will power it fully, and my motor is safe from overcurrent ;)

moonchild61501

• Copper Level
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 17:20:22 »
heres a pic of my boat. its been a headache but it looks sweet!!