Author Topic: Laughing about science  (Read 3176 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Laughing about science
« on: September 25, 2009, 00:27:21 »
While my friends were over tonight, my wife commented about how we were laughing at stuff that was in my science classes. Of course, one friend looked like he had something to say, but bit his lip. I'm sure that sounds crazy doesn't it... stupid religious fanatics who don't like science.  ::)  That's not quite the case though. There's lots of valid stuff, and things that make sense, but every once in a while something gets in there that is just off the wall and unbelievable that a science book (or instructor via video) would describe it that way.

For example, the last section that we had a good laugh about mentioned something happening simultaneously all around the world. This is from the Earth System History, 3rd Edition by Steven M. Stanley. "Imagine that someone with magical powers spray painted instantaneously a large region of Earth---ocean floors, lake bottoms, and terrestrial lowlands." Well... there's more too it, but we just laughed about that, thinking about these scientists who don't seem to believe in God describing something like this.

Ok... so maybe it wasn't so funny, but it was funny that night.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)