Author Topic: radio shack/black phantom2 ie...scorpion2  (Read 11002 times)

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
radio shack/black phantom2 ie...scorpion2
« on: November 16, 2013, 13:40:54 »
snagged this up today....gonna let d kiddo drive it awhile....then when broke..its mine...lol.
i had both versions of this truck, nikko scorpion2 and black phant2....i can definateley remember the rs version performing better....i only thing i can think is...i thot the scorp2 had a hi/lo range where i know this one dont....dont matter tho...theres alotta interchangeability in nikko diffs....and better chances of fitting old tamiya diffsin these than say my modded bandit....so soon....i hope to have this think modded out....
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
Re: radio shack/black phantom2 ie...scorpion2
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 18:10:32 »
Sweet! That was one of the first rc trucks I converted to a hobby truck. I remember running just the stock 9.6v just off hobby electronics it ran much faster and would wheelie. Still got that one and one new in box.

I will say the best mod you can do to it is swap a tacoma or road thunder 2 speed rear end and it will be a blast to drive. Also I've just been running my stock scorpion 2 off 11.1v lipos and it hauls ass. Just gotta be careful not to go below voltage level since there's no cutoff
More R/C cars than your local hobby shop

Old school is the only way to go

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:25:23 »
dang....i may have had my numbers off.and originally had the scorp3 and black phant.....had the orig scorp too but no comparison...yea i loved my original. phantom.and yea i wanna snag a different gearbox for sure, but i wanna try to fit a tamiya lbox gear box in it
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:50:28 »
i got it figured at the least i wanna get a scorp1 540 diff, altho i had a radio shack blue shark by nikko as a kid that would walk the dog on the bandits and eliminators by tyco as a kid, if i cud find that diff id go with it too, but id rather find a suitable brushless capeable diff, since i did the bandit....in comparison...i think these old nikko based rc has more potential for reliable hobby grade mods....
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:54:19 »
Im actually about to start modding one of my tacomas so ill be doing mods that you can do too.

Heres a break down of how fast they do with what setup

Phantom/scorpion 2 and 3:

Stock: 13mph

9.6v w/hobby electronics: 16mph

11.1v stock electronics: 16mph

Tacoma and Road Thunder

Stock: Low gear: 14mph High gear: 19mph

11.1v stock electronics: Low gear: 17mph High gear: 24mph

Only difference in the tacoma/road thunder and the phantom/scorpion2-3 is the bracket on the axle that stretches the phantom/scorpion2-3 wheelbase and of course the hardbody vs lexan on the tacoma/roadthunder

So basically since its only slightly heavier than the Tacoma/Road thunder, you can run just the stock 2 speed rear and an 11.1v lipo and already go at least 22mph. With hobby electronics it would only be limited by its gearing but should still run 25-27mph. Damn now I wanna go mod mine lol

The best thing is if you run one of these axles you can still use the same wheels and it bolts straight on. Running the original rear will require a load of modifying and you cant run matching wheels front to rear

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 13:07:55 »
i like the sound of the 27ish mph.....im just wondering bout brushless, and do u thinkbthat lunchbox diff will fit fairly easy
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 13:11:07 »
It will take a lot of modifying and you wont be able to run your stock wheels so it might look goofy. However you could run a 380 brushless and it would really haul ass

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 13:17:19 »
the lunchbox style wheels look similar in size.....if all 4 cud be changed, and if i cud actually get the diff to fit....worse case....i might just stock up on diffs like u mentioned.....and go brushless anyway
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 17:19:43 »
I will say that when I hooked up a 5400 11.1v alone it made the truck all together fun to drive again like back in the 90's. It would wheelie easy and had sooo much more power. You can always do one mod at a time to keep it fun

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 23:25:16 »
i think imma leave the phantom as stock for a minute....i was watchin that tyco eliminator on ebay hyt 89 bux with 4 days left.....i was gonna try for it....but then stumbled across a pretty nice traxxas slash vxl for 114 bux....rtr.....so i snagged it up.....its the 1/16
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator