Author Topic: Official top speed: how fast they really go  (Read 20345 times)

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
Re: Official top speed: how fast they really go
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:07:12 »
I'm really interested to see what kind of speed the radio shack red shaker can out out. I'm thinking around 11-12 mph.

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 11:46:10 »
Its funny that you say that, i went by my parents today and saw it sitting on the shelf and thought about radaring it. 11-12mph sounds about right but im gonna radar it here in in the next couple days.

Also, im goin to be converting it to a hobby car soon since its begging for more power. Im hoping that with 11.1v and stock motor it will get a 2nd gear scratch if not get sideways when i shift to 2nd lol
More R/C cars than your local hobby shop

Old school is the only way to go

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 14:52:09 »
Yea as far as torque even the thor puts that red shaker to shame. If it were not for the shifting from remote that thing would have nothing going for it. I'm having a blast with that raider. I asked the seller the back story to it and he got it from a yard sale. It's nice to have it with the wild cougar. I think I'm done as far as toy grade other than to flip. I think I'm going to try to convince my wife to chase my stampede while I drive it from the passenger seat since I don't want to weigh it down with a gps or crash it destroying the gps.

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 17:49:33 »
Thats awesome, glad you found a raider. I kinda wanna take mine out and radar it.

I like driving the red shaker with the original remote but man is it underpowered. All i need to do is figure a way to mount a mini servo to control high and low and i will be able to shift it with my airtronics radio 3rd channel. Being 2wd i think the gears shouldnt have too much stress even with some power. I might even get a mangler 3 speed rear end

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 18:32:16 »
I haven't opened up my red shaker but shouldn't be impossible maybe tricky but I don't see how you do these hobby conversions on all these toy cars but you get it done

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 18:47:24 »
And you deff should take that raider out and radar it. If it was a brand new in box tyco I wouldn't suggest it but new or used that raider is a nikko and I don't see how it could hurt the limited value the nikkos seem to carry anyway. If you have not driven a raider the tires are a bit on the hard side.

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 22:14:03 »
Having a lot of extra hobby parts and the right tools makes it a lot easier. Ive looked at it before and setting up the servo will be tricky but definitely not the hardest thing ive had to modify. Im really getting antzy to convert it so next free night i have ill be on it, may be done by the weekend.

Ive had it out of the box once, ran it for 5 mins and it still has that smell from 1994. Its soo rare that only someone who knows it would pay the big bucks its worth. To the average guy its just an old nikko without much value. Its identical to the flashback and has the exact same hard compound tires. I drove my flashback the other day and i think its faster than the raider but its 5 years newer and might have a hotter motor. It might have just been the battery but im gonna get equally powered packs and run em head to head and see. Either way I like the raider more

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 22:39:37 »
The raider (lobo flash) to me is the most perfectly proportioned rc car. It's really one of the classics. I ran mine back in the day against my buddy's brother's flashback and his was faster but then again by that time my truck already had bald tires and my transmitter throttle knob spring was broken so I put a rubber band verticals around the transmitter and wrapped it around the knob once to center the throttle.I also ran the brat against the raider back when they were both pretty new and the brat was a little bit faster.tycos always tore my nikkos up though and even the 4 aa tycos like the wild thing 2 or zombie would be up there with some of my bigger nikkos. The xrc firestorm though decimated all except it ran out of range after about 50feet.

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 22:45:37 »
Ive posted some more cars but also ran the fast traxx and eliminator. The eliminator seems to be almost the same speed as the hijacker at around 18mph.

The fast traxx was kind of hard to radar by myself using the lambos pistol remote haha, but it did get 17mph and it might be able to go faster. I will post its highest speed when i record it.

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 22:55:44 »
Yeah wear and tear can effect its actual top speed. Most nikkos were were made more for torque and never had alot of topspeed but then again most weighed at least twice that of a compareable tyco car. Some being 4wd and their big tires made them much more capable off road than tycos but they were built for terrain where tycos were built to run like lightning and they did very well.

However cars/trucks like the road thunder or rhino/golden arrow and some others were faster than everything including many hobby cars of their time.

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 09:09:53 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FKmOhhS5eQ now that's a fast tyco. I wonder what top end was on it.

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 21:09:23 »
Looks like 15 but only the radar will tell

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 00:09:29 »
hard the judge the tycos since they're soo small they look like they're flying no matter what.