Author Topic: frame buggies  (Read 4248 times)

acheckeye

• Copper Level
frame buggies
« on: January 17, 2013, 13:55:50 »
Does anyone have a full list of the frame buggies from radio shack/nikko/whoever else?  I know some, but what others are there?

I know golden arrow, red arrow, rhino, bison, lobo I and II at least, and i'm sure a few others I can't think of at the moment.

R/C Toy Memories

• Bronze Level
    • R/C Toy Memories - A blog about my vintage R/C cars, toys & other stuff
Re: frame buggies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 23:15:55 »
A full list would be a very, very, very long list :)
The problem is that Nikko would often create one car, and then sell it under anything up to 5 or so different names, around the world.

A list of purely just the cars sold at Radio Shack is easier, since you can find the old Radio Shack annual catalogues online and see the cars page in each one.

(Remember also, that every car ever sold at Radio Shack was a custom variation of cars manufactured by actual manufacturers: Nikko, Taiyo, Yonezawa, Suncon, Radcon, Atcomi, Matsushiro, and so on. Radio Shack never manufactured any cars from the ground up, they just customised and rebranded cars from other suppliers, to suit their desires - but in doing so and because they had so many retail stores, often the Radio Shack releases became more famous than the original models)

Over time, I'll be writing about some of the more significant cars on my blog, and have already profiled a few.

IMHO, some of the most signficant buggies ever sold at Radio Shack were:

Golden Arrow
Red Arrow
Black Phantom
Black Wolf
Turbo Buggy Special
White Tiger

The most significant Nikko branded buggy efforts in history, have probably been:

Brat
Super Sprint
Dandy Dash
Rhino (and variations "F10", "Bison", "Super Alex" and so on)
Turbo Panther

Nikko have made a huge number of highly eclectic toys over the years, many of which deserve notice.

cheers,
H.

http://www.rctoymemories.com -  A blog about my vintage R/C cars, toys & other stuff