Author Topic: The Season of the Tax  (Read 4603 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
The Season of the Tax
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:19:40 »
I am a fan of the film, "The Wizard of Speed and Time".  I have been since it was shown to me on laserdisc by John Hudgens, a guy who made a name for himself by producing music videos for the creator of the TV show, Babylon 5.  Anyway, that one viewing was the one and only time I had seen WoSaT until tonight.  At the end of the film I downloaded, there is a text screen saying that Mike Jittlov (the creator and star of the movie) was okay with people making a few copies of it and spreading it around to friends.  Knowing what John told me about the producer of the film, I'm 100% positive that it's true. ;D

But the movie is not the subject of this post.  That text screen also gave Mike Jittlov's web address.  As I was perusing the pages that haven't been updated since the early part of last decade, I found this page of the history of the 1040 tax form.

Being that it is relevent to my current job, I was fascinated, and thought you guys might be as well.  I was especially intrigued by the 1% tax rate of the original form from 1913, and that it didn't kick in until you made over $20,000.  Plus the fact that prior to 1913, the country had been running completely fine with pretty much no individual income taxes whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:28:57 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
Re: The Season of the Tax
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:55:56 »
Oh, and here's the original Wizard of Speed and Time short film from 1979.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=GoLhLn9hVkE&NR=1

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 00:38:00 »
Pretty cool video. I started watching what appeared to be a full movie, got into the second part (of 10). Looked interesting, in a "Weird Al" UHF sort of way. .... Referring to the movie... not the tax stuff.  ;D
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 00:38:55 »
Yeah, Wizard of Speed and Time definately has a UHF feel to it, but with more sincerity, and general frustration over Hollywood bureaucracy.